Whose Aviation Clock is This? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jun 2, 2016
I purchased this clock on Ebay. I was able to figure how to wind it and set the time by turning the black bezzle. I opened up the back and discovered it has a 17 jeweled movement. I keeps perfect time. There is some writing on the face that I think is Crylic lettering. Can anyone help me identify this instrument?

Attachments

• IMG_1609.JPG
    IMG_1609.JPG
    220.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1610.JPG
    IMG_1610.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1611.JPG
    IMG_1611.JPG
    270.5 KB · Views: 50
Yes I had to use a couple of photo tricks and got the same. The clocks "5 дней" are later ones. Mostly the AWR-M. The "8 дней" are said to be the earlier clocks ( the AWR not modified what means no the "M" letter in the type name ). Actually both the inscriptions can be misleading slightly. The clocks can work for 10 or even more days.

Also a warning here ... the AVR-M watches with the B index on the dial, issued before the 1968-1970 of the last century, were made of luminous mass, which contained radium salts. A quite dangerous radioactive composition, the half-life of radium is 1600 years. Since 1970, watches have used a safer composition that does not contain radioactive components.

BTW .. the AVR-M clocks have the dial and hands marked with different types of paint.

If the dial and hands glow in the dark without being exposed to daylight or UV light, it'll be radium.

If it does have radium paint, just be careful when handling it (wear disposable gloves) and avoid breathing any dust it may have.
Being near it isn't dangerous, what makes radium bad is that the body thinks any radium that enters the system, is calcium and locates the radium particles in the bones.

If the dial and hands glow in the dark without being exposed to daylight or UV light, it'll be radium.

If it does have radium paint, just be careful when handling it (wear disposable gloves) and avoid breathing any dust it may have.
Being near it isn't dangerous, what makes radium bad is that the body thinks any radium that enters the system, is calcium and locates the radium particles in the bones.

Also I agree with that. However IMHO that's a post-war clock made after 1968. Actually ,as memo serves, the AWR clocks always were glowing in the dark, no matter of the year of manufacturing.

AWR_4.jpg

The difference is, radium glows perpetually where phosphorescent paint needs to be recharged by light in order to glow.

It's easy to tell - take the gauge (or clock) and put it in a dark room and leave it there for 24 hours.
If it has become dim over that period of time, it's not radium.

Thanks for the info. After checking I have determined that the dial is not radium. I showed my buddy this clock and he asked me to show the attached pics to maybe identify this instrument. He was given this item some years ago.

Attachments

• inst1.jpg
    inst1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
  • inst2.jpg
    inst2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • inst3.jpg
    inst3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23

Users who are viewing this thread

Back