Wildcat VI vs Bf 109 G near Norway

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FLYBOYJ said:
DAVIDICUS said:
So no Avengers were lost? It would appear so. If all the Avengers made it back including all but one Wildcat, I am more than just a little impressed especially since the Wildcats apparently didn't bounce the Germans as it was the Germans that initiated the assault.

Now imagine for a moment if all the Avengers were lost. The loss of all the Avengers in addition to one of the Wildcats would make for a different impression.

One could assume that by focusing on the bombers, they were not simultaneously playing offense against the Wildcats and suffered high losses through that trade off. Why the trade off? Perhaps they didn't have enough fuel to beat up the Wildcats first and focus on the bombers later.

In any event, a very interesting story.

Indeed....

It's hard to surmise this scenario. Maybe the 109 pilots were cocky? Pilot skill, tactics? Maybe the RN guys were good and the Luftwaffe guys sucked!?! Its hard to say...

I know we got the thread running with the Wildcat vs, the Hurricane, perhaps this will be discussed there? :rolleyes:

As this story is supposed to be accuring in 1945, those 109 pilots would most likely have been a very young and inexperienced group of LW pilots.

Yes, so the Royal Navy pilots were good and the Luftwaffe pilots were poor. It's still a great story.

DAVIDICUS said:
"but the beau could do it's fair share of mauling........"

Against Fw-190's, they would likely do a fair share of shrieking ... then whimpering ... and finally kabooming.

it take allot to bring a beau down and when they do go down remember they're british, they go down with honour and dignity, they do not whimper to anyone.......

I think like Soren and R Leonard, in 1945, at the end of the war, most of the german pilots were young and inperienced...and problaby overmotivated. A bad tactic attack can be fatal.

Anyway is a great history, Id have bet for the 109s...is surprising!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back