Windows...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nov 12, 2010
Me and one of my superiors discussed while we waited for an Air France two-engine aircraft was en route to us for their control of various control checks. that we discussed was that during the war (you know which) was one of the warring countries used colored cockpit windows for their night fighters. so now I wonder (and my superiors) on you know on it was used both as a prototype and / or serial aircraft ....

Please help me ...

with best regards Conrad

Colored windows specifically for night fighters? Or colored windows for any operational context? Right off the top of my head the B-25 had gree-tinted window panels overhead on some models. I'm trying to recall, but I thought that P-61 had tinted panels too on some versions.

Colored windows specifically for night fighters? Or colored windows for any operational context? Right off the top of my head the B-25 had gree-tinted window panels overhead on some models. I'm trying to recall, but I thought that P-61 had tinted panels too on some versions.

Yeah, i forgot that

With a night-fighter would having green-tinted window pnaels without a light-source or magnifying help in any way in finding things outside? Would anyone be able to say.

Sorry for dragging this thread up, but I wondered how that worked. It sounds like it would have been a lot of work so it must have had some limited effectiveness to be considered...

I don't think it would work. Anytime you tint glass, no matter what the color, you lower the amount of light that goes through it.

The bomber canopy may have helped cut down solar heating in the cockpit without totally blocking the view but that is a guess.

As I asked, does the coloured glass help much in identifying targets at night, or is it more the amplifying of the light-source that does that, in modern systems?

Ah, okay, I wasn't sure whether it helped with background contrast. I just saw they did it in modern night-vision systems and thought it was for that reason. I have actually looked through one at one stage. It certainly is wierd looking at everything in Green and Black. Reminds me of when I had an old Apple IIe computer, that had a green and black screen. State of the art in 1983. By the time I got it they were going into blocky VGA and then later into the modern graphics card display screens. I went next to blocky VGA on a 286 and then onto a Modern Computer when that one was scrapped for parts by my brother.... But I digress from the purpose of this thread...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back