"WORN OUT ENGINES"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It may not get as dusty like the desert but you will pick up dust and dirt to some degree. Look at the diagram you posted - every one of those moving linkages and hinges will pick up dirt and wear out causing issues so keeping components like this lubricated and clean is a big part of keeping the aircraft and engine healthy.
In a foreward combat area, where the fighters were running several sorties per day, for days on end, I suspect the maintenance to these (and other) components were a bit neglected.

Especially if the unit was under-strength and their fighters were in constant demand.

How dusty does it get in merry old wet England? Not very. When Typhoons began operating from dirt airfields in France they very quickly had to devise filters for them.
You may be surprised, when I was in Scotland the job site was a 7.5 Km track made of ballast with the pipeline next to it, in summer it had to be watered by local farmers to keep the dust down. I cant think of a better way to make a cloud of dust than a metal mesh runway and a squadron of Typhoons on a hot day in France.

I cant think of a better way to make a cloud of dust than a metal mesh runway and a squadron of Typhoons on a hot day in France.
Yes and in some cases it might not even have been metal mesh. This picture from France looks like a pretty dusty area.

Mustang-Fra.jpg

Yes and in some cases it might not even have been metal mesh. This picture from France looks like a pretty dusty area.

View attachment 651020
I think Typhoons had to have metal mesh, or at least thats what the operational weights were based on. Even without rockets or bombs, with the armour fitted they were a heavy beast. Even so, looking at that picture it would leave a great cloud of abrasive paste in its wake on a dry day

Does anyone know the typical warbird operator's practices regarding component documentation for airworthiness?
For example I think a general aviation mechanic working on a Cessna 172 would want to see an "FAA YELLOW TAG" or a Canadian Form 1, but for a warbird there might be parts with only old military or no documentation. Instead of a valid CMM there might be only very old Technical Orders. The background here is what would a P-40 operator need to fly some nice prop brush boxes I have?

Does anyone know the typical warbird operator's practices regarding component documentation for airworthiness?
For example I think a general aviation mechanic working on a Cessna 172 would want to see an "FAA YELLOW TAG" or a Canadian Form 1, but for a warbird there might be parts with only old military or no documentation. Instead of a valid CMM there might be only very old Technical Orders. The background here is what would a P-40 operator need to fly some nice prop brush boxes I have?
Hi Richard;

I think it would be a matter of traceability or showing component conformity. If original documentation exists, that should serve the traceability question. If you have the component without paperwork, it would be a matter of a certified individual inspecting and certifying that the component is safe for flight. Some warbird operators have this written into their maintenance programs. You also have to consider life limited components such as O rings and rubber products as well. Hope this helps.

That makes a lot of sense.
I am thinking that if I can find the Technical Orders and show assembly and rest in accordance with them, I can ask an A&P Licensed Mechanic to fill out a tag. In the example of my brush boxes for P-40 it's I think milliOhms pin to each brush, Insulation Resistance, screw torque, close visual inspection for cracks or corrosion, and that's it. Above this might be a visit to an FAA Reoair Staion with Prop endorsement or Canadian AMO but I'm hoping not as that would be expensive and I worry they would balk more at lack of origin documentation. These parts were never flown and it shows. The original inspection stamps are clear. Now I need to find the Technical Orders. I've written to a few P-40 owners, no luck yet.

That makes a lot of sense.
I am thinking that if I can find the Technical Orders and show assembly and rest in accordance with them, I can ask an A&P Licensed Mechanic to fill out a tag. In the example of my brush boxes for P-40 it's I think milliOhms pin to each brush, Insulation Resistance, screw torque, close visual inspection for cracks or corrosion, and that's it. Above this might be a visit to an FAA Reoair Staion with Prop endorsement or Canadian AMO but I'm hoping not as that would be expensive and I worry they would balk more at lack of origin documentation. These parts were never flown and it shows. The original inspection stamps are clear. Now I need to find the Technical Orders. I've written to a few P-40 owners, no luck yet.
Exactly! The other road would be a Repair Station or AMO. With the manufacturer's data you might get an A&P to do the tag or an 8130-3

Operators of older aircraft are allowed to manufacture replacement parts if none are available. Admittedly, engine parts present a significant challenge in that respect. A friend of mine had an OX-5 engine in his Waco and it suffered from low oil pressure. He finally resorted to having the crank ground and plated to oversize to make up for the wear in the crankcase and that worked very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back