WW2 aircraft parts - Help with Identification

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Steve T

Airman
Dec 17, 2010
Hi all

I am new to this forum and have joined to seek your help in identifying items I have recently found. I am a regular contributor and moderator on another forum, focused on WW2 relics and the collection of such items.

I have recently been digging on an old RAF base in England. More specifically, I found the base dump a few weeks back and have been back recently to spend some time searching for relics. As with all base dumps, the area is crammed with finds, most of which are broken and smashed, (e.g. crockery etc), but there are some items that I am hoping will be identifiable.

Please find below pictures of the items I am seeking help with IDing. A number of them carry Air Ministry marks and codes, some of them don't. If you can be of any help I would greatly appreciate you leaving a reply or even PMing me.

Many thanks, in advance, for your assistance.

Firstly an item that has been identified. The top Bakelite portion and bulb holder for a Glim lamp.

DSC03007.jpg

Ok. Now the stuff I need help with.

I found five of these large metal 'caps'. They are about 3 inches in diameter, made of a heavy metal, possibly corrosion resistant steel. The inside has 3 brass screws that look like electrical connectors. The top threaded piece has a thick rubber washer, with a hole through the centre of the cap. Two are clearly marked, FEB 1944 and SEP 1944. What the heck are they ?

DSC03013.jpg

DSC03017.jpg

Another Bakelite object. AM coded.

DSC03026.jpg

A few more AM coded items.

DSC03044.jpg

DSC03043.jpg

DSC03040.jpg

A couple of aluminium or aircraft alloy items. About 3 inches tall.

DSC03036.jpg

Now for some random pieces, not marked.

DSC03034.jpg

DSC03027.jpg

A nice dial but unfortunately not marked.

DSC03045.jpg

And lastly this little beauty.

The markings weren't revealed until I cleaned the item.

Clear AM code on the 'knob' with a graduated dial and a red and green coloured arm. What is it off ?

DSC03041.jpg

DSC03042.jpg

Many thanks

Steve T

Hi Steve;

not 100% sure but the 3 caps may be part of a carbon pile voltage regulator. The silver object looks like part of an ignition lead. The rest of the stuff looks like electrical buses and the AM stuff might be part of a ADF unit.

Flyboyj - I see what you mean. However, they have a normal screw thread on the thinner top, (where the rubber gasket is), but the bottom 'thread' is more like a female bayonet type mounting. I think they may have something to do with fuel tanks perhaps ?

Cheers

Steve T

Flyboyj - I see what you mean. However, they have a normal screw thread on the thinner top, (where the rubber gasket is), but the bottom 'thread' is more like a female bayonet type mounting. I think they may have something to do with fuel tanks perhaps ?

Cheers

Steve T

Hard to say as I'm trying to determine what they are from the pics - although they were "dug up," if they were part of a fuel system, they still may smell like aviation fuel. Is there a fuel smell on them?

I'll go take some more photos with a tape measure in the shot. I'll post them later :D

Cheers

Steve T

Kingscoy - Interesting you should say that. You're now the second person to suggest they are something to do with ordnance. Curiously, I did also find a lot of tail pistols, (types No. 28 and No. 30 mark IV and V) at the site as well, only a couple of feet away from these 'caps'. The lot numbers on 4 of them are long since gone, (they appear to be marked with an ink stamp of some description), but 2 carry month and year stamps. FEB 1944 and SEP 1944. I'll take pictures and post them tomorrow.

pistols1.jpg

pistols3.jpg

I'll have a look through my 1944 book on British aerial bombs and fuses to check.

Thanks

Steve T

Last edited:
Holy cow I found the little buggers !!

You were dead right Kingscoy. Those rings are the bottom portion of a No 42 bomb nose/tail fuse.

cat-0274.jpg

NeusbuisNo42.jpg

I'm so pleased ! :) :)

Thanks guys :)

Steve T

Last pic looks like the connectors on the end of the 'pig tails' used on RPs, and I agree about the other bits being ordnance related. A clue as to the airfield might give an indication of what's what, based on the units stationed there at any given time?

Picture 16 = Terminal Blocks placed in aircraft as a "break" between the item connected and the main electrical wiring (so items can be removed without disrupting the whole wiring harness for that circuit) Not fused.

Top of Picture 14 is the connector plug for an oxygen mask mounted microphone to connect to the helmet wiring and receivers. Possible H, E or G type mask. Sorry not sure what the general "aircraft" electric connector at the bottom would be off.

Photo 18... MAY be an exposure counter wheel off a Type 35 Controller or similar for PRU cameras.

Photos 15 and 15a are the Transmitter/receiver end of the Radio Remote Controller. This knob sits on the outer of a T/R and is the connection point for the push/pull cables running forward to the controller in the cockpit.

Last edited:
Picture 5A looks like it could be part of the base of a Seafire radio control. The part number is "general" aircraft equipment category, which would suggest not...but...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back