Ww2 american fighter in the forrest near my house!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Tixiegames

Airman
Sep 16, 2019
Hi I came on this forum becouse i have a very important qestion. 2 days ago an old man came to my uncle and told him that he lived in the same house that we live. And that he clearly remembers a day that he was just a little boy playing on the garden, when suddenly he heard a loud airplane engine. He looked up and he saw an american fighter falling from the sky and two paraschuters ejecting from the cocpit.
The plane collapsed on the ground in the forrest behind his house. And the two pilots landed in front of the house. His dad ran out of the house and hiding two confused americans in the giant barrell in front and telling them that the germans are gonna be there soon. And in couple of minutes germans showed up. They were searching for the pilots and were angry couse they werent there. When they left two partizans showed up riding horses they helped the pilots and saved them.... that is what he told to my uncle. And the plane still lies in the forrest waiting to be discovered... at first we did not believe. But then while my uncle was searching the internet. He found a page (the page is in slovenian so you wuldn't understand)that described all plane crashes in our town(our town is called slovenj gradec). And it wrote about the crash i was talking about before. So that means that everything is true.

I wanted to ask if someone knows of a relative of the pilots that crashed in slovenian slovenj gradec?

Tixiegames

The relevant part of the story, a start but not much to go on

During World War II,
in 1944, are in Dravograd
ses-
treading the American fighter plane type
4 erykan that mythical loco-
tive in Otiški Vrh. Strmoglavi-
lo is in Selah near Slovenj Grad-
cu.
It was a beautiful April day when we
three curious
went to search
damaged
the plane. When we are
past the town above Old Square
come to Slovenj Gradec for a clean-
well, we ran into a field trip
the military vehicle that drove-
from the direction of Bukovska vas down the
no, on the road to Selam. Then it is
the vehicle rang from the road to the right,
headed for the hill we were
opposite to lying down. It's at the top of the hill
was a homestead at Hovnikov'

The relevant part of the story, a start but not much to go on

During World War II,
in 1944, are in Dravograd
ses-
treading the American fighter plane type
4 erykan that mythical loco-
tive in Otiški Vrh. Strmoglavi-
lo is in Selah near Slovenj Grad-
cu.
It was a beautiful April day when we
three curious
went to search
damaged
the plane. When we are
past the town above Old Square
come to Slovenj Gradec for a clean-
well, we ran into a field trip
the military vehicle that drove-
from the direction of Bukovska vas down the
no, on the road to Selam. Then it is
the vehicle rang from the road to the right,
headed for the hill we were
opposite to lying down. It's at the top of the hill
was a homestead at Hovnikov'

😂 half slovenian half english

Sometimes aircraft are referred to by the number of their engines rather than by name, for example, one could say "American four engined bomber" in stead of "American Liberator bomber".

I suspect that article is refering to the aircraft as a four engine type

Sometimes aircraft are referred to by the number of their engines rather than by name, for example, one could say "American four engined bomber" in stead of "American Liberator bomber".

I suspect that article is refering to the aircraft as a four engine type

Where there aircraft with four engines driven by two?

The A-20 was a twin engine with pilot and 3 other crew members. The B-26 was a twin engine with pilot and co-pilot plus other 5 crew members. The B-25 was a twin engine with pilot and co-pilot plus 4 other crew members

Given the locality, and if it was an American aircraft, then it's likely that it was based in Italy. Although the USAAF had A-20 attack and nightfighter aircraft in Italy, as well as A-26 aircraft, the majority of 'multi-seat' aircraft were bombers - B-24 and B-17.
The A-20 in it's fighter / attack role, would have a crew of two, and a peculiarity of this aircraft was that the pilot baled out first, with the dorsal gunner controlling the aircraft with basic stick and rudder controls in the rear compartment. This was because the pilot had to escape via the roof hatch, and slide down the wing.
However, as already stated, the aircraft in question could have had more crew members, who failed to escape before the aircraft crashed.
The only other two-seat combat aircraft I know of, used by the USAAF, were the British Beaufighter and Mosquito, but it's unlikely it would have been one of those types.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back