WWII propellers found

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

partisanit

Airman
Dec 29, 2006
Hello friends, i'm Mick from italy.
My friends of Romagana Air Finders have found seven prop blades (recovered from a fisherman in the Comacchio Lake), and a turret ring. The owner says that the props came from a twin engine bomber dismantled in the 50' and crashed in the WWII. He say also that the plane had four bladed propellers. We think, at the first, that it must have been a B-26, but the props look like Hamilton Standard, and not Curtiss. Here is the photo:
This is the only stamping we have found on a prop blade:
1.SHANK56155CHGGDWG6477A-OCOHSP5MFGNOF81365CONTW535A027334
Does anyone know the meaning of this stamp? Thank in advance.

This numbers are the P/N and serial numbers of the prop and shank - they do look like Hamilton Standard prop blades and by they way they are bent they were not moving then they struck the ground - I'll see what I could find out when I get into work...

I don't think you are from a B-26 - the B-26 had 4 blades and the tips had more of a point on them...

IMG_9433.jpg

Here's a prop from a B-17...

IMG_9040.jpg

And B-24...

B24Prop.jpg

Wow! Thanks guys! I have a partial explanation about the stamp.
Yes, she's an Hamilton Standard Prop, in the serial is the Drawing Number 6477A-0, the type used on B-24, B-17 and C-46. Here is a little explanation from another forum:"...The propellor blade was a design number of 6477A-0....the "0" indicates a full length blade...a -6 denotes a 6 inch SHORTER blade. An interesting item is that although the C-46 used the same 6477A blade, it had a - nuimber of - 12....same blade as the B-17 except 12 inches shorter, but with a Curtiss-Electirc Hub, which had a # 60 hub, that goes with the R-2800 engine. ( The B-17 had the R-1820 engine, and both the B-24 and C-47 had the R-1830 engine)..."
I guess she was one or two B-24...!
Here is a turret ring (Martin?) recovered with the blades

I don't think you are from a B-26 - the B-26 had 4 blades and the tips had more of a point on them...

IMG_9433.jpg

Here's a prop from a B-17...

IMG_9040.jpg

And B-24...

B24Prop.jpg

Flyboy, is it possible to get a photo of the shank of your B17 prop? and also is it for sale?
Thank you

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back