WWII Rate of Turns

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Okay, I was looking at the figures cited from America's Hundred Thousand, which I've put into an Excel sheet (then turned that into a screen-cap)

View attachment 630207

The red stuff was things I either know are wrong or strongly suspect, the gray item was something I was just unsure of: The P-61B's wing area is 662.36 square feet and, while I'm unsure the exact C/L for the P-51, I've heard some sources that listed numbers lower (1.5). I'm curious if anybody has more accurate data on the coefficient of lift figures for the aircraft in question since I have doubts as to the accuracy of the source.

The wing-area for the P-51 seems to vary a bit from 233 to 235.7 or so. I'm not sure why there are variations in this area.

Thanks
I'd be very leery of all those posted lift coefficients. It's fairly rare for airfoils to get no-flaps lift coefficients quite that high except for some fairly special cases, like the high-lift Liebeck airfoils (which generally suck otherwise). See, for example, Abbot & von Doenhoff, Summary of Airfoil Data, Summary of Airfoil Data - NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS)

The wing-area for the P-51 seems to vary a bit from 233 to 235.7 or so. I'm not sure why there are variations in this area.
At some point in P51 manufacture the wing leading edges were "cranked" forward at the root, adding a few square feet. IIRC, some earlier aircraft were updated to the later standard. It's all in Drgondog's book, P51B, a very good read.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back