WWll Bomb Releases

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

From your Avatar you favour Canberaa? The Bomb Carrier for this was the Avro Triple which could carry two or three bombs. Each built in Release Housing used 1 x EMRU No 1
Yes I had a hunch these were used in the Canberra and hopped by using that picture it might jog some memories which apparently it has. I'm very grateful for the information you have provided.

Regards
Dominic

Yes I had a hunch these were used in the Canberra and hopped by using that picture it might jog some memories which apparently it has. I'm very grateful for the information you have provided.

Regards
Dominic

In service, there was a problem in these operating and releasing the load when subjected to 'jolts' such as in-flight air pockets or during landing. This was fixed by the introduction of a spiral spring which was clipped over the rotor inside to create a negative torque forcing the toggle link into the off-centre lock. It was a Command Modification done at Station level and caused the EMRU to become a No 1, Mark 1. Post an image of the unit with the case cover removed when you can. These units first came into service with the Canberra bomber.

Just got chance to open one up as PETERTHEEATER PETERTHEEATER Sugested. Please see picture inside case.
Thanks for all your help I now have 4 of the 9 working! 😁

Attachments

• 20210612_153128.jpg
    20210612_153128.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 48
Not too difficult to clean up with a solvent. The rotor had the Command Modification spiral spring fitted. When correctly assembled and with jaws locked this exerts a torque on the toggle forcing into the locked position which is 'over-centre'. When power is applied to the rotor electrical coil it tries to rotate and as it does so the toggle link is pulled over-centre in the reverse direction. A soon as the toggle 'breaks' the jaws spring open.

Not too difficult to clean up with a solvent. The rotor had the Command Modification spiral spring fitted. When correctly assembled and with jaws locked this exerts a torque on the toggle forcing into the locked position which is 'over-centre'. When power is applied to the rotor electrical coil it tries to rotate and as it does so the toggle link is pulled over-centre in the reverse direction. A soon as the toggle 'breaks' the jaws spring open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back