XB-42?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3 said:
I wonder what the pilots thought of for being ejected downward low to the ground :))

F-104 had the system for years, it actually worked quite well except if you were close to groud. :rolleyes:

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
B-52 has the system for the crews in the lower cabin areas.

Yep - Here in Denver in the nightclub section known as "Lodo" there is a club there known as "B-52s." In front there is an ejection seat and trapeze from one of the B-52 station that egress downward....

Upward or downwards was the same on the XB 42-43 (and Do335): the prop and the 'cross' rudders are symmetrical, so you need the same clearance at any angle you want to 'bring your ass out of there'

And in case of real production the technology of the ejection seat and/or the charge to blow off rudder and prop was surely not an issue for USA in 44-45.

.. but was the XP54 a flying wing? I remember it as a pusher twin-boom, a kind of prop driven 'big Vampire'

I seem to remember something along the lines of getting rid of obstacles for helicopter ejection- anyone know how that works? I think some US models- either the Apache or Cobra- blows off the prop to get out safe.

The Apache and the Cobra do not have ejection seats. As a matter of fact no Helicopter in US service has an ejection seat. As an Helictoper crew member we do not even carry parachutes, if the helicopter is crashing we ride it in. Actually we try and autorotate if it has to do with engine failures or something but otherwise we ride it to the ground.

The Russians have the 'Hokum' and it has an ejection seat. The counter turning rotors on it have an explosive charge that detenotes the blades and then the pilot ejects. Well atleast this is based off of what I have read. If this is true I can not confirm it. If anyone knows anything about this Russian aircraft please correct me.

I do know however that the Cobra and the Apache do not have ejection seats. Neither does my Blackhawk or the Chinook, Loach, Littlebird (same thing actually) or Kiowa.

Here is an XB-42A. It was fited with Westinghouse 19XB-2A turbojets as a test. Also note the twin buble canopies.

Attachments

• xb-42a_159.jpg
    xb-42a_159.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 296
The double canopies are pretty cool, but many forward thinking pilots didn't like them - the seperation made the workload more stressful, especially during emergencies. In an aircraft like this, you need to "ping" off the other pilot and work as a team to keep the mission as un-stressful as possible. In modern terms the concept is now called "Cockpit Resource Management."

Yeap we like to call it Aircrew Coordination or Cockpit Resource Management.

I bet on many occasions, your pilots task you with something, navigation, radios, scanning for traffic, ect.

Douglas incorporated these double cockpits on the XB-42/ 43 and on the C-74.

Speaking of ranks I have been selected for promotion on Nov. 1st. Its about damn time.

CONGRATS SARGE!!! :salute:

Now only if my brother could get promoted! I think Gomer Pyle will make E-5 before him! :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back