XP-39 II - The Groundhog Day Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
PLB = Clinton County Airport (Plattsburgh, NY)
MSS = Massena Airport
OGS = Ogdensburgh Airport
ART = Watertown Airport
SYR = Syracuse Airport
BGM = Binghamton Airport
AVP = Wilkes-Barre Airport
EWR = Newark Airport
BTV = Burlington Airport
ALB = Albany Airport
BOS = Logan Airport (Boston)
Kind of takes the mystery out of it.

My favorite is DUA .... Don't Use Abbreviations.

Once, as test manager for a company, we were working with Lockheed martin on a Space Shuttle component and we had a femal engineer from Lockheed Martin attend one of our test meetings. We were discussing environment testing and there are a lot of abbreviations for environmental testing. We were testing for temperature, altitude, humidity, blowing dust, blowing sand, shock, vibration, gunshock, etc. It is pretty standard in the busineed to called temperature, altitude, and humidity with the abbreviaiton T, A, and H.

We were having some issues with temperature and altitude test results, and spent an hour or so discussing T & A, which SHOULD have been obvious since we discussed temperature and altitude. After about 45 minutes, the female engineer was looking a bit angry and demanded to know exactly what T & A was supposed to be. After all of us males looked at her like she was from another planet for about 10 seconds, then we all burst out laughing and explained it was temperature and altitude. She broke up laughing and we went on with the meeting after a few minutes of amusement. We apologized for causing her grief and mentioned that we had all been using these abbreviations for 20 years. After that, I composed a list of environmental test abbreviations that I sent out to the participants before any meeting where we expected women to attend. It bled over into other test subject as well since almost all had a long list of abbreviations.

Last edited:
The story goes that when Wichita Falls applied for an airport code back in the 1950s, they innocently requested WTF. The CAA responded "Denied". No explanation, no comment, which was most unusual in those days.

Years after Curtiss flew the XP-51 "Ascender"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back