XP-39 II - The Groundhog Day Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think XBe02Drvr was saying Americans were/are more technically savvy (I know I wasn't), but that Americans were more habituated with rudimentary tech than most other nations as a whole.

Cheers,
Biff

The M was an earlier model, 7000 more N/Q models would still be produced out of 9500 total.

The larger propeller was introduced with the 167th N model. Reduction gear was the same 2:1 as the D-2/K/L that used the -63 engine.

The 37mm cannon weighed 300lbs with ammo, the 20mm 160lbs with ammo. Difference 140lbs.

I don't think XBe02Drvr was saying Americans were/are more technically savvy (I know I wasn't), but that Americans were more habituated with rudimentary tech than most other nations as a whole.

My use of the term tech savvy reflected exactly what you stated more elegantly as "more habituated with rudimentary tech.". I just couldn't be bothered typing long words like habituated and rudimentary with my fumble-thumbs.

Hello P-39 Expert,

The M was an earlier model, 7000 more N/Q models would still be produced out of 9500 total.

It depends on how you want to group things. Most books I have count the L through N models as the "Mid Production" series. There were about 240 M models produced and about 2000 N models produced.

The larger propeller was introduced with the 167th N model. Reduction gear was the same 2:1 as the D-2/K/L that used the -63 engine.

This is still different from the 1.8:1 reduction gear originally used on the P-39C/D/F series. The propeller on the M was 11 feet 1 inch diameter. The N model changed the reduction gear ratio to 2.23:1 and used either a 11 feet 4 inch or 11 feet 7 inch propeller. The Q used a 11 feet 7 inch propeller.
The early series propellers on -35 and -63 engines were almost always 10 feet 4 1/2 inch regardless of whether they were Curtiss Electric or Aeroproducts manufacture.

The 37mm cannon weighed 300lbs with ammo, the 20mm 160lbs with ammo. Difference 140lbs.

This is a cool little bait and switch you are trying to pull here. There were plenty of P-39 models armed with the 37 mm cannon before the M model came along, notably the C, D, F, J, K and L.
To say the M had cannons weighing 140 pounds more is a pretty poor argument when the majority of US service models already carried the same gun as the M.

- Ivan.

Last edited:
I've read here the P40 was lengthened for the higher powered engines/speed giving more torque. I'm not sure how this played out with the P39? No changes?

Also any comparison on what actual metals were used on each plane? Duralum or something? steel?

Having worked on many aircraft (to include warbirds) I can somewhat agree with your field removal of some the equipment to save weight, 3 hours of maintenance is a bit skewed unless you're going to just hack the items mentioned out, not plug rivet holes and possibly leave wire bundles.
Your linear calculation does not address weight and balance of the items removed. If you're lucky enough to make the aircraft slightly tail heavy, it will fly faster but be more unstable, something already plaguing the P-39. You're comparing the C and D models and by your own post, no armor and no self sealing tanks. So you're making your point with performance numbers from an aircraft that was really not capable of entering combat????

the .50 gun receivers are coming back into the cockpit. the red flags are attached to the cocking/recharging handles. the cylinders sticking back with the slot are the firing solenoids.

Sorry Shortround but that is not correct. The cylinders sticking back with the slot are actually the buffers (shock absorbers)

The American 30 cal, 50 cal and 20mm solenoids look like this and mount on the side of the gun.

These pictures show them mounted on the P-39 wing guns.

The Brit .303 solenoids look like this and mount on the bottom of the gun

It depends on how you want to group things. Most books I have count the L through N models as the "Mid Production" series. There were about 240 M models produced and about 2000 N models produced.

Only the N and Q models followed the M. That would suggest the M was a later production version!

The Q was in production 8 or 9 months after the M.

You have obviously never done weight and balance on a real aircraft, or actually worked on a P-39, or you would know that much of what you wrote above is not correct. Worse still, as many of the pilots on the forum will tell you, a stall caused by aft CG on many aircraft is stable meaning you cannot regain control. Regardless of power or control inputs the aircraft remains stalled and drops like a brick with almost zero forward speed. I have gone to two funerals caused by this mistake. Both pilots had carefully calculated there gross weight CG but forgot to check their low fuel, low speed, gear down CG.

You will note in your own writing that the Soviets removed the IFF to compensate for the removal of the 30 cals. There is nothing else heavy back there to remove except the oil tank and that is aft of the fuselage joint line. There is a tie down kit but that weighs about 5 or 6 lbs so is not going to help. Yes you could move the oil tank (and coolant tank) into the wing leading edge like the Hurricane did but that introduces all sorts of other problems. And you can remove the radios from above the engine (they and the engine are actually aft of the CG which is just above 2 = fuel, 9 = guns and 10 = wing ammo in the diagram the below and all forward of the CG) but where would you fit them?
\

On any aircraft if you remove 100lb from the very front of the aircraft you must compensate by removing weight from the rear.
If the weight you remove aft of the cg is only 50 lb then it must come from twice the distance from the CG that the removed weight was. etc etc etc

I have never seen anything from Bell saying the designed the P-39 to take the ASB used on the P-63. The coolant tank takes up all that space behind the engine on a P-39 and there is also structure there, including the fuselage bolt line, that would prevent an ASB being fitted. Find a flying example near you and go visit it as soon as restrictions allow. The lack of free space in that powerplant will surprise you and clearly show that there is no way it could fit an ASB.

They did design it with a turbo but that went under the engine.

This diagram shows the engine and supercharger outline but does not show the starter or generator or any of the mass of plumbing and "small" parts that extend from the rear of the engine. The oil tank is aft of the bolt line but the bulkhead is shaped to allow part of it to extend into the engine bay. There is no way an ASB would fit there.

Last edited:
Only the N and Q models followed the M. That would suggest the M was a later production version!

The Q was in production 8 or 9 months after the M.

Hello Wuzak,

Your timing is probably correct, but there are other factors.
1800 P-39G models were originally ordered. None were actually built.
Instead, the contract for the G models was distributed in small batches into the K, L, M, and N (large batch) which don't differ much except in fairly minor detail and so are considered the same mid production series.

As for Letter designations in the P-39, in other fighters such as the P-47D, the degree of change between one Letter designation in the P-39 and the next was often less than that from one production block and the next in other fighters.
Look at how many versions were simply because the propeller was from a different manufacturer.

- Ivan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread