XP-39 II - The Groundhog Day Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaaaarrrrggghhhh, stop scarying me!!!

"In ANY condition, at ANY time after the stall occurred, recovery could be effected promptly by applying down elevator". Stated in the report more than once. I read the entire report.

Chuck Yeager's favorite plane. Until he got a Merlin P-51.

My understanding was that the Russians also pushed the Allison way past the USAAC's limits. The price was more frequent overhauls. It would be interesting to know how many V-1710s the USA sent to Russia. outside of those mounted in aircraft.
I have read that they used combat power 3000rpm from takeoff until they returned from their mission. Engine life was something like 50 hours. Of course with only 87 gallons of gas and no drop tank their missions were only on the order of about a half hour.

"In ANY condition, at ANY time after the stall occurred, recovery could be effected promptly by applying down elevator". Stated in the report more than once. I read the entire report.

Hello P-39 Expert,

That recovery might be just a LITTLE slower if your aeroplane just snap rolled and is inverted.

His comment about the P-39 was that he was willing to fight anyone AT LOW ALTITUDE.
Apparently he didn't think it had any useful high altitude capability either.

Have you thought about what it meant for the P-39D-1 to have a CoG at 30.2% MAC when loaded to 7600 pounds?
This is not light for a P-39D. There isn't a lot to leave off to get down to that weight which is only about 50 pounds below its normal loaded weight.

- Ivan.

Make Me Operations

Don't give me a P-38 with props that counter-rotate
They'll loop, roll and spin but they'll soon auger in
Don't give me a P-38!

CHORUS:
Just make me Operations
Way out on some lonely atoll
For I am too young to die
I just want to go home.*

Don't give me a P-39 with an engine that's mounted behind
She'll tumble and spin, she'll auger you in
Don't give me a P-39.

Don't give me an old Thunderbolt. It gave many pilots a jolt
It looks like a jug and it flies like a tug
Don't give me an old Thunderbolt!

Don't give me a Peter Four Oh, a hell of an airplane, I know
A ground loopin' bastard. You're sure to get plastered
Don't give me a Peter Four Oh.

Don't give me a P-51, it was all right for fighting the hun
But with coolant tank dry. you'll run out of sky
Don't give me a P-51.

Don't give me a P-61, for night flying is no fun
They say it's a lark. but I'm scared of the dark
Don't give me a P-61.

Last edited:
Chuck Yeager never flew it in combat

And he wasn't an average, everyday pilot, either, he was pretty gifted at the job. An average schmuck like me would have been in serious trouble with a 39.
There's a reason we gave them to the Russians, we didn't really want them. That's been abundantly clear. I'm pretty sure the only reason we used them at all, was because that's all we had available for awhile.
And after the "new and improved" P-63 came out, we (the US) used it for target practice, which says enough, right there. We used it for TARGET PRACTICE. I don't much give a rip what the Russians did with it, we used it for TARGET PRACTICE. Enough said.

P-39D was a dog at 7650lbs. Could be made competitive by losing the nose armor and the .30s. Move the radio up from the tail cone for balance. For the umpteenth time.

The Russians beat the Luftwaffe with the P-39, after they lightened it a little.

For god sakes, stop scaring me!!!

One of the other things worth noting is that with the CoG ta 30.2% MAC, the stick only needs to move 1 inch to go from CL 0.2 to CLmax of 1.4.
Only test pilots notice or care how much travel of the controls it takes to make various maneuvers, unless they threaten to hit their stops, or are so extreme as to be awkward in the cockpit. (6'5" instructor in a J3 Cub trying to keep hands and feet clear while student enters and recovers from spins.) What matters to everyday pilots is control pressures, not control displacements.

And like the prudent pilot he was, he saw to it his "favorite plane" was ballasted so that it's behavior was safe and responsive. Less renowned and less experienced pilots who had to fly it "loaded for bear" weren't so privileged.

P-39D was a dog at 7650lbs. Could be made competitive by losing the nose armor and the .30s. Move the radio up from the tail cone for balance. For the umpteenth time.

Hello P-39 Expert,

For the umpteenth time:
If this is really your response after all the information and explanations and evidence presented to you, either you are incapable of understanding weight and balance of aircraft or cannot comprehend how this information fits together.
You can wish whatever you want, but there were many intelligent and skilled people on the scene when YOU were not and I would trust their conclusions over yours. You clearly do not qualify as a P-39 "Expert".

- Ivan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread