XP-39 II - The Groundhog Day Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note that in the typical testing that was conducted, the CoG was typically much further forward (24-25% MAC) than it the weight and balance charts would indicate for normal loaded weight. I am not sure how this was done, but it MIGHT have improved performance.
Oops! I think you're barking up the wrong tree here. For parameters such as top speed, best climb, and to a lesser extent, ceiling, best measured performance occurs with the least airframe drag, which is with CG at the aft limit. This is usually not the most desirable from a handling standpoint, but this is where the horizontal stabilizer is required to generate the least amount of negative lift with its attendant drag.

Hello P-39 Expert,

That was my point in comparing the C with the D. There were no differences except internal. Same outside, engine, propeller, horsepower. Only difference was weight.

The point I was trying to raise was that WHERE that weight difference was might make a significant difference in performance.
I believe GregP's explanation is correct but I am still thinking there was something else that wasn't so obvious that might explain the difference in performance.

Please stop with the handling issues. You keep trying to make this plane unflyable when it was obviously easy and pleasant to fly.

Under some load conditions, it WAS easy and pleasant to fly. Under some load conditions it was NOT. For a P-39 Expert, you really don't seem to have been reading too many pilot reports. Don't just read the ones you like. Read the others as well and figure out why those pilots came up with something different when they are flying "the same" airplane.

You're splitting hairs. Interceptor vs fighter.

Not hardly. The requirements were just a bit different. Without the Turbo, the P-39 was no longer an interceptor.

No nose armor in the C. You were talking about the difference in weight in the nose, I was explaining that it was about the same after deducting the .30s and adding the nose armor.
Some reports say that the C did have the armor glass behind the pilot, some don't.

Actually I was discussing the possible differences in flight performance because of a difference in weight distribution.

- Ivan.

Oops! I think you're barking up the wrong tree here. For parameters such as top speed, best climb, and to a lesser extent, ceiling, best measured performance occurs with the least airframe drag, which is with CG at the aft limit. This is usually not the most desirable from a handling standpoint, but this is where the horizontal stabilizer is required to generate the least amount of negative lift with its attendant drag.

Hello XBe02Drvr,

I agree you are correct on this. I was thinking more along the lines that without an autopilot, it would be more difficult to hold a marginally stable aircraft at a constant attitude for an optimal climb.

I have attached NACA L-602.
Please read Stability and Control results starting at page 4 and see if you come up with the same conclusions I did.
Seems to me that these people were not convinced that 31% MAC was the correct Aft limit.

I tried to calculate how far aft the CG moved if the nose armor (71lbs) was removed. I came up with:

Weight 7570lbs CG Arm 134.22 Moment 1016045 From the P-39Q weight chart
Less 71lb Arm 21 Moment 1485
New Wt. 7499lbs New CGArm 135.29 New Moment 1014560

New CG arm calculated by dividing new moment 1014560 by new weight 7499lbs.

New CG is 1.07 inches aft of old CG (134.22-135.29=1.07).

MAC is 80.64", CG limits 23% to 31% of MAC, or 5.6". 1.07" should be within the CG limits. Sorry I can't make the columns line up.

Hello P-39 Expert,

With the Gear Box Armour in place, the P-39Q at Basic Weight + 200 pound Pilot has a CoG at 30.1623% MAC which is still within the limits of 23-31% MAC.

WITHOUT the Gear Box Armour of 70.74 Pounds at Station 21, The P-39Q at Basic Weight + 200 Pound Pilot has a CoG at 31.6876% MAC which is outside the allowable limits.

- Ivan.

Attachments

• P39D_flying_NACA_L-602.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 60
Please read Stability and Control results starting at page 4 and see if you come up with the same conclusions I did.
What format is that attachment in? My Android phone says CAN NOT OPEN FILE. No explanation.
However, judging by the W&B worksheets posted by Joe upthread, it appears your conclusions are supported FOR A P39Q. BUT, as pointed out by some of the wiser heads aboard this vessel, extrapolating from one model to another on the assumption that all things remain equal puts one on shaky ground. Devil is in the details, and I haven't seen any credible W&B data yet for the D.
In my experience with aircraft at or near the aft CG limit, at high speed, steady state conditions such as a climb or max speed run, the squirrelliness manifests itself primarily in maneuvering rather than "hunting" in trimmed out steady state flight. I have been slightly out of limits aft on a few occasions, mostly as a result of using standard weights for passengers and baggage. (We used to double the bag count for soldiers going in and out of Ft. Drum, and that probably wasn't adequate still.) You suspect you're slightly out when the nose starts to "hunt" up and down in level flight and you're constantly adjusting pitch trim. On a hot day at 6000 feet between ART and SYR with a full boat and an aft CG, every little thermal bump makes your bird waddle and wag its tail and soon you're driving a barfwagen.

Last edited:
Devil is in the details, and I haven't seen any credible W&B data yet for the D.
I take that back. I got to digging through the stuff jmcalli2 linked for us back in post 839 (thanks jm!), and found a NACA test report on a P39D s/n 28378, done in early 1943, (no NACA Report # given) which had some scary details mentioned in matter-of-fact language.
1. CG @ 30.2% MAC (0.8% MAC fwd of AFT limit!) is referred to as "Normal". This leaves 0.8% for fuel burn and ammo expenditure. (20MM on test a/c, w/4 .30s in wing LE, 2 .50s in nose)
2. Stall is described as abrupt without buffet warning, accompanied by wing drop, roll oscillations, and a tendency of the stick to thrash laterally if not firmly held. This seems to happen in all speed ranges and configurations. Specifically stated that this makes for an unsatisfactory gun platform for deflection shooting in a turning fight.
3. If ailerons are not exactly centered at the stall, the stall tends to roll sharply away from direction of aileron deflection.
4. Stick force gradient @ "Normal" CG of 30.2% is described as 1.8 lbs/G! A 14.4 lb. pull (which you can EASILY accomplish between fingertips and thumb of your right hand, especially when adrenelated) will put you at 8Gs! Scary!
This is well below USAAF minimum acceptable value.
5. Ailerons effectiveness is described as unsatisfactory.
6. Have I scared anybody yet? This is all outlined in straightforward unemotional test pilot language which the uninitiated could easily read without the context to bring out the meaning. The exclamation points, bold print, and caps are mine.
7. I haven't even got into the graphs yet as they aren't easily readable on my Android phone.

Last edited:
Hello XBe02Drvr,

I agree you are correct on this. I was thinking more along the lines that without an autopilot, it would be more difficult to hold a marginally stable aircraft at a constant attitude for an optimal climb.

Seems to me that these people were not convinced that 31% MAC was the correct Aft limit.

Hello P-39 Expert,

With the Gear Box Armour in place, the P-39Q at Basic Weight + 200 pound Pilot has a CoG at 30.1623% MAC which is still within the limits of 23-31% MAC.

WITHOUT the Gear Box Armour of 70.74 Pounds at Station 21, The P-39Q at Basic Weight + 200 Pound Pilot has a CoG at 31.6876% MAC which is outside the allowable limits.

- Ivan.
Can you give a specific location in the report?

You defile the honor of the southron gentleman you claim to be! You made your weapons choice in post 837, and are honor bound to stick with it, else I have no obligation to defend my honor against a disgraced, dis-honored item of southron trash! This disreputable affair is dismissed! My Airacobra squadron is on it's way to strafe your hillbilly shack.

SO! Just as I suspected, you would find a tiny loophole to escape an affair of honor! So be it! But fair warning sir fair warning... I will NOT be so generous in any future "disagreements", you are a cad sir, A CAD! But I will magnanimously forego satisfaction at this time.

Send your vaunted Airacobras SUH, there is a flight of Fairey Battles that will be more than a match for your tail heavy - ground loving - spin happy - engine behinders.

Gentlemen....gentlemen. Lets's make this fair.....kinda. Choose one but be warned. One has fired off all it's nose ammo and is now dangerously unstable

In hindsight I should have made one Russian

In the spirit of reconciliation I invite Wes ( X XBe02Drvr ) to join hands and sing with me now "Don't give me a Pee Thirty Nine... The one with the engine behind..."

The ultimate insult, to accuse an organic all-natural guy of being a Computer Aided Design! I'm adding my Kingcobra squadron, all flown by former Soviet aces to the strike force. Say your prayers, laddie!
KINGcobras you say? You've heard the expression "twice nothing..."

Bring it big boy, we're ready...

curtissp36.jpg

*SNIP*

- Ivan.

OK, I'm obviously not an expert on this, but to my untrained eye, for a plane that tips the scales at roughly 3.5 - 4.0 TONS, the removal of a mere 70.74 pounds puts the CoG outside of the allowable limits by 1.5253%. To me that means this thing is CLOSE to being out of whack even on a good day with everything in place. Going back several dozen pages, I believe the case was made that the Gear Box Armour was probably added to keep the CoG issue from cropping up.

It seems to me that that theory holds quite a bit of water.

*EDIT*

Also regarding something I saw in post #852 "Interceptor vs. fighter"
In 1939 there was a difference. Actually, there probably still is.

Last edited:
I take that back. I got to digging through the stuff jmcalli2 linked for us back in post 839 (thanks jm!), and found a NACA test report on a P39D s/n 28378, done in early 1943, (no NACA Report # given) which had some scary details mentioned in matter-of-fact language.

Hello XBe02Drvr,

The NACA Memorandum Report L-602 which I attached is in PDF format. It IS a fairly lousy quality scan but readable.
The aircraft tested is the same one 41-28378 (P-39D-1) as the report you are reading and the conclusions are the same so it is probably the same report. It is also why I asked you to start reading at Page 4 for the Stability and Controls section. It kind of struck me as a bit scary as well.

If you have the same report, please observe the CoG range for testing.
The most forward CoG was 25% MAC
at Take-Off Weight 7800 pounds. Actual Flying Weight for testing estimated at 7620 pounds

The most rearward CoG was 30.8% MAC
at Take-Off Weight 7600 pounds. Actual Flying Weight for testing estimated at 7420 pounds

Note that the weights at the test for Aft CoG were still much higher than the numbers we were getting for the Basic Weight + Pilot for the P-39Q. For the P-39Q, that Basic Weight + Pilot is as low as the aircraft can get and the P-39D-1 wasn't even close to its lowest possible weight.
That is why I believe the P-39D and others of the era had a CoG that was several inches further Aft than the later versions.
As for how much, it isn't possible to determine with the data presented in this report because what the loads were to get to 7600 or 7420 pounds were not specified.

Can you give a specific location in the report?

Hello P-39 Expert,

I already stated Page 4 in the message YOU QUOTED! Did you even read the message before you quoted it???

OK, I'm obviously not an expert on this, but to my untrained eye, for a plane that tips the scales at roughly 3.5 - 4.0 TONS, the removal of a mere 70.74 pounds puts the CoG outside of the allowable limits by 1.5253%. To me that means this thing is CLOSE to being out of whack even on a good day with everything in place. Going back several dozen pages, I believe the case was made that the Gear Box Armour was probably added to keep the CoG issue from cropping up.

It seems to me that that theory holds quite a bit of water.

Hello Peter Gunn,

That is the thing about the P-39. When the CoG is at the forward end of the allowable range, it handles very well. Burning fuel doesn't really affect it to a great degree because the fuel tanks are very near where the CoG should be. The problem is that when the CoG migrates aft handling gets much less predictable.
The L-602 report also brought up another point: The allowable aft CoG limit was stated to be 31% MAC, but in testing at even 30.8% MAC, they were getting some pretty nasty handling and their Take-Off weight to get to this situation was 7600 pounds which is only 50 pounds below the "Normal" Loaded Weight for the aircraft.
The problem as I stated earlier is that the report doesn't say how they got to 7600 pounds.

The problem as you may be noticing is that SOMEONE, presumably the manufacturer made the determination that 31% MAC was safe. The NACA Test Pilots didn't seem to agree in their report. Handling also normally doesn't go instantly from great to lousy at a specific number. There are generally plenty of degrees in between.

Also regarding something I saw in post #852 "Interceptor vs. fighter"
In 1939 there was a difference. Actually, there probably still is.

I believe the best illustration of the difference is the Lockheed F-104 Starfighter.
Interceptor, Yes. Fighter..... Not Really, regardless of how it was employed.

- Ivan.

4. Stick force gradient @ "Normal" CG of 30.2% is described as 1.8 lbs/G! A 14.4 lb. pull (which you can EASILY accomplish between fingertips and thumb of your right hand, especially when adrenelated) will put you at 8Gs! Scary!
This is well below USAAF minimum acceptable value..

As a point of reference the F-15 uses about 45lbs of pull at 9 Gs.

Cheers,
Biff

1. CG @ 30.2% MAC (0.8% MAC fwd of AFT limit!) is referred to as "Normal". This leaves 0.8% for fuel burn and ammo expenditure. (20MM on test a/c, w/4 .30s in wing LE, 2 .50s in nose)
2. Stall is described as abrupt without buffet warning, accompanied by wing drop, roll oscillations, and a tendency of the stick to thrash laterally if not firmly held. This seems to happen in all speed ranges and configurations. Specifically stated that this makes for an unsatisfactory gun platform for deflection shooting in a turning fight.
3. If ailerons are not exactly centered at the stall, the stall tends to roll sharply away from direction of aileron deflection.
This is well below USAAF minimum acceptable value.
5. Ailerons effectiveness is described as unsatisfactory.
6. Have I scared anybody yet? This is all outlined in straightforward unemotional test pilot language which the uninitiated could easily read without the context to bring out the meaning. The exclamation points, bold print, and caps are mine.
7. I haven't even got into the graphs yet as they aren't easily readable on my Android phone.
You're doing your best to scare everyone over basically nothing.

The stick only oscillated laterally in one condition, when high accelerations were reached from recovery from rolls.

"In any condition, at any time after the stall occurred, recovery could be effected promptly by applying down elevator." This was stated more than once.

The report was generally complimentary and all requirements were met.

P-39 Expert, I can only answer with a suitable story:

Wants pawn term, dare worsted ladle gull hoe lift wetter murder inner ladle cordage, honor itch offer lodge dock florist. Disk ladle gull orphan worry ladle cluck wetter putty ladle rat hut, an fur disk raisin pimple colder Ladle Rat Rotten Hut.

Wan moaning, Rat Rotten Hut's murder colder inset, "Ladle Rat Rotten Hut, heresy ladle basking winsome burden barter an shirker cockles. Tick disk ladle basking tutor cordage offer groin-murder hoe lifts honor udder site offer florist. Shaker lake! Dun stopper laundry wrote! An yonder nor sorghum-stenches, dun stopper torque wet strainers!"

"Hoe-cake, murder," resplendent Ladle Rat Rotten Hut, an tickle ladle basking an stuttered oft. Honor wrote tutor cordage offer groin-murder, Ladle Rat Rotten Hut mitten anomalous woof. "Wail, wail, wail!" set disk wicket woof, "Evanescent Ladle Rat Rotten Hut! Wares are putty ladle gull goring wizard ladle basking?"

"Armor goring tumor groin-murder's," reprisal ladle gull. "Grammar's seeking bet. Armor ticking arson burden barter an shirker cockles."

"O hoe! Heifer blessing woke," setter wicket woof, butter taught tomb shelf, "Oil tickle shirt court tutor cordage offer groin-murder. Oil ketchup wetter letter, an den - O bore!"

Soda wicket woof tucker shirt court, an whinney retched a cordage offer groin-murder, picked inner widow, an sore debtor pore oil worming worse lion inner bet. Inner flesh, disk abdominal woof lipped honor bet an at a rope. Den knee poled honor groin-murder's nut cup an gnat-gun, any curdled dope inner bet.

Inner ladle wile, Ladle Rat Rotten Hut a raft attar cordage, an ranker dough belle. "Comb ink, sweat hard," setter wicket woof, disgracing is verse. Ladle Rat Rotten Hut entity bet rum an stud buyer groin-murder's bet.

"O Grammar!" crater ladle gull, "Wood bag icer gut! A nervous sausage bag ice!"

"Battered lucky chew whiff, doling," whiskered disk ratchet woof, wetter wicket small.

"O Grammar, water bag noise! A nervous sore suture anomolous prognosis!"

"Battered small your whiff," insert a woof, ants mouse worse waddling.

"O Grammar, water bag mousy gut! A nervous sore suture bag mouse!"

Daze worry on-forger-nut gulls lest warts. Oil offer sodden, thoroughing offer carvers an sprinkling otter bet, disk curl and bloat-thursday woof ceased pore Ladle Rat Rotten Hut an garbled erupt.

Mural: Yonder nor sorghum stenches shut ladle gulls stopper torque wet strainers.

The truth is somewhere in Little Red Riding Hood, spoken with an accent.
Translation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back