XP-39 II - The Groundhog Day Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't forget the engine rating acceptance tolerance of +/- 5%.

That equates to +/- 57.5hp from the rated 1150hp. Or a total of 115hp difference.

Could that be a contributing factor to the performance difference?

Hey wuzak,

Yes, that much HP could definitely make a difference.

The problem in this case is that the climb rates for all of the types we have info on (except the C) generate values that are close to the power curve stated in the tests, ie the calculated values vary only a small +/- from the stated BHP. For the variance in engine power to explain the test C's 3720 ft/min ROC, all (I think) of the other tests would have to have been run with underpowered engines, and have engines that are close to the same in underperformance. The maximum speeds on some of the other tests may indicate slight variances in engine power, but without detailed drag indexes for the differences between the models I (we?) can not really factor that in meaningfully.

GregP got 1241 BHP needed (I assume upto about 12,000-13,000 ft), and I got 1275-1300 BHP+ needed upto about 10,000 ft, if the P-39C is going to have a 3720 ft/min ROC. Plus I had to use a Cd of .020-.021 (depending on the BHP used) for the C, as opposed to .022 for the others (I am not sure what value of Cd GregP used, but I would bet it is closer to .020 for the 3720 ft/min ROC).

PS. As mentioned up-thread, significant variance in propeller efficiency could have a significant effect also. But again, to match the test results for the other models, all of them would have to be using props of about the same efficiency, and all of the props would have to be significantly less efficient than the one used on the C model.

Last edited:
This isn't addressed to me, hope I'm not intruding but made some comments above.

I wasn't sure I really wanted to reply to your post because I don't think our back and forth posts ever really accomplish anything.
I will warn you in advance: My basic premise is that the NACA L-602 Report was generally correct and that when the CoG reached about 30.2% MAC, handling became dangerous even though this was still ahead of the "aft CoG Limit".

The primary goal for most of these changes is to ensure that the CoG of the Airacobra never goes beyond the range of 23% MAC as a forward limit and 28.5% MAC which appears to be a Safe aft limit. If you do not agree that this is a reasonable goal, then you will probably not agree with the changes.

Problem was space, with the .30s there was not enough room for the full 30 rounds of 37mm cannon ammo. Not much punch from the .30s and even less with prop synchronization.

I don't believe you are correct that the .30 cal MG were the reason for only 15 rounds of 37 mm ammunition in the P-39C.
Please see the attached diagram. The magazine for the 37 mm was simply different on the P-39C. The .30 cal MGs do not appear to be in the space that would be taken by the 30 round endless belt magazine for the 37 mm that was installed in P-39D and later models.

As for punch from the .30 cals, note that they are comparable to or even slightly more powerful than the .303 Vickers MG (Japanese Type 97) that were installed in the A6M2 through A6M5. With the low capacity of the 20 mm in the wings, many folks believe that the majority of kills by the A6M early in the war AGAINST Allied aircraft were with those synchronized MG.

As for weight, I believe these guns and their ammunition and associated equipment could substitute for the Gear Box armour.

Excellent idea, I think you could have made do with 120-150 rounds. Spitfire had 120 rounds and P-38 had 150rounds. Save about 80-100lbs weight vs the .37mm. Some early Allison P-51s had 20mms with belt feed, so it was doable.

The intention is NOT to reduce weight up in the nose because it would need to be made up with additional equipment, or ballast in the form of armour such as the pieces of cheek armour in the British Airacobra. For this reason, I believe 250 rounds would be a very reasonable ammunition load.

Without the 37 mm endless belt magazine or the 20 mm Hispano 60 round drum, there should be enough room above the cannon and between the .50 cal MG to mount an oil tank. There is a fairly small drive mechanism for the belt above the 20 mm Hispano, but it doesn't anywhere near the amount of room that the drum did.

Excellent idea, especially if the .30s are deleted. Only added about 45lbs but increased firing time about 9 seconds. A 20mm w/120rds and 2x.50s w/270rds each is pretty potent.

I don't believe the 30 cal in the nose should be deleted because they would be a substitute for the ballast up in the nose that the Gear Box armour represented.
The idea was not really to reduce weight but to shift the CoG as far forward as possible

Other potential spaces for the oil tank might be in the wing center section or fuselage just ahead of the radiators and oil coolers.

-Ivan.

I dunno, from some of the claims made through this thread apparently the Air Force brass were a bunch of chuckle heads that were out to "get" Larry Bell. I mean this plane obviously out performs the Mustang, Thunderbolt and Lightning combined and the Navy was stupid for not buying the Airbonita. I mean, its performance above 20,000 ft is simply stunning, it out climbs anything in the sky and is faster than anything else in the inventory, Allied or Axis.

P39 Expert,

And based on one test that is different from all others. You just aren't assimilating that there is something wrong with this test. I think Greg has probably guessed correctly that the guy did a zoom climb after accelerating to a speed well above climb speed. Also realize that "test pilots" have variations among group as well.

Cheers,
Biff

In his lighter P-39 he would have the choice of outclimbing the A6M2 or diving away as he had previously done.
Huh?
The P-39D is lighter?

With the A6M2 at 3,700 pounds empty (6,160 pounds gross) and the P-39D at 5,450 pounds empty (7,500 pounds gross) I am thinking you have that backwards?
I wouldn't count on "climbing away" from the Zero. That would only reliably work if the P39 started out in a high energy state and the Zero at cruise or other low energy state. Even IF (big IF) the P39 can outclimb the Zero, it'll be only by a small margin (don't trust climb numbers from allied tests of reconstructed Zeroes), and with its SIGNIFICANTLY heavier weight and its higher wing loading, will NOT have enough advantage in the acceleration and climb transition to get out of range unperforated unless it starts out with an energy advantage.
If you don't have a tactical advantage, you run away (disengage), you could be in a P-39, P-51 or F-22. Fighter tactics, 101
BINGO!

Adding more weight to the wings will affect roll-rate, so be careful of that adventure.

Hello GrauGeist,

With this "idealized" armament, there wouldn't be any wing guns at all.
I was thinking:
20 mm motor cannon - 250 Rounds.
2 x .50 cal synchronized MG - 270 Rounds per Gun
2 x .30 cal synchronized MG - 300 Rounds per Gun

All the guns have pretty similar ballistics. All the guns except the .30 cals have a pretty good duration of fire.
With this much armament and ammunition in the nose, the CoG will still shift aft pretty seriously when the ammunition is expended but hopefully the moving the oil tank from the tail to the nose will address much of that problem as would deleting the oil tank armour at the tail of the aircraft.
There is also the possibility of shifting radios a bit forward when the oil tank and armour are no longer there.

- Ivan.

"Bridge, Port Forward Lookout. Visual surface contact, twenty degrees port bow, four or five miles. Can't quite make out what it is, Sir."
"Conn, come left two zero degrees, course three one zero, all ahead two thirds. Port Forward, I need an ID, get with it, son! All hands, stand by General Quarters!"
"Bridge, Port Forward, I can make out a triangular shape through the mist, perhaps a small sailboat? Way out here?"
"C'mon, son, I need that ID! Forward Mounts, man up and stand by!"
"OMIGOD! It's the biggest pig's ear I've ever seen, floating upright in the water!...Sir."

Almost forgot, the coolant tank could be moved up right behind the pilot very near the CG like on the P-63 and XP-39E. The oil tank could then be moved up to the space formerly occupied by the coolant tank. That may be the ultimate fix for any CG issues. Just a thought.

My whole purpose of continuing this thread is that the climb of the early P-39D/F/K/L of 1942 could be improved by reducing the weight (.30s and nose armor). A P-39D/F or P-400 without those items would weigh about 7200lbs. At this weight it would outclimb the A6M2 and still have a significant speed advantage. In that case air combat in NG in 1942 could have been much different.

P-39N didn't need those modifications since it had the more powerful -85 engine and had an excellent climb rate.

There were chuckleheads all over. The Spitfire MkII was slower than the Mk I despite having a more powerful engine and a better propeller. It had a better climb performance and ceiling and carried more armour, this improvement was noted by LW pilots which means it was worth it.. The chuckleheads were concerned with getting a better military machine, not winning some arbitrary speed record. As with the P-51D which was marginally down on speed against the P-51B but was an all around better fighting machine.

Last edited:
Okay, now I'm really confused... Is it chuckle heads or chuckleheads?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread