"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (6 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In addition to the Ukraine Aid Bill, the house also passed the 21st Century Peace through Strength Act with a bipartisan vote of 360-58. Amongst other things, this bill includes
  • Place sanctions on anyone involved in activity covered under the UN missile embargo on Iran that lapsed last year or in the supply or sale of Iran's missiles and drones.
  • Empower the executive branch to seize and transfer frozen Russian assets held in the US to Ukraine.
This and the others will be sent to the Senate now as part of a consolidated Bill.

Okay, I will play the role of the contrarian.

Here is a quote from the NATO website:

The combined wealth of the non-US Allies, measured in GDP, is almost equal to that of the United States. However, non-US Allies together spend less than half of what the United States spends on defence. This imbalance has been a constant, with variations, throughout the history of the Alliance and has grown more pronounced since the tragic events of 11 September 2001, after which the United States significantly increased its defence spending. The volume of US defence expenditure represents approximately two thirds of the defence spending of the Alliance as a whole. However, this is not the amount that the United States contributes to the operational running of NATO, which is shared with all Allies according to the principle of common funding. Moreover, US defence spending also covers commitments outside the Euro-Atlantic area. It should be noted, nonetheless, that the Alliance relies on the United States for the provision of some essential capabilities, regarding for instance, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance; air-to-air refuelling; ballistic missile defence; and airborne electromagnetic warfare.

Do the countries that are contributing higher than normal amounts have commitments all over the planet?

Do any of these countries contribute aid anywhere else on the planet?

Our "population" is up an estimated 12 million from illegals, of which untold amounts of funding is going to them. Is anyone giving us money for that? Crime is up huge, as is drug trafficking across our southern border. Anyone "helping us with that?

This has no political party attached to it, just stating what's going on (not why).

I'm a retired military veteran. The VA healthcare rarely gets positive reviews for a reason. When do we get our house in order?

I'm just asking what I think are the obvious questions since the undercurrent seems to always be the US needs to do more.

Personally I think we should help out the UKRs, but would like oversight of where that money is going.

Cheers,
Biff

On the overall spending for NATO yes but on the support for Ukraine much of Europe has committed far more than the US.

And do not forget that aid to Ukraine is on top of their commitments to NATO.

Many, if not all, those countries have other overseas commitments - Australia has committed less than the US to Ukraine but it also supports many Asia Pacific nations and has commitments in many of the northern hemisphere "hot spots". And I suspect that the US VA problems are the same as the Australian DVA problems - incompetence and feather-bedding, not lack of budget.

EDIT: example - one vet has just been awarded his Vietnam medal because they "could not find him" even though he gets his military pension and veterans health care. And the parliament has just finished a long and totally damning review of the department and the suicides by many returned servicemen who could not get the department to provide any mental or other assistance.

From Bilateral aid to Ukraine by country GDP 2024 | Statista the US is 19th based on % of GDP and provides only 0.9 of the aid Estonia provides. Even Bulgaria and Canada provide (marginally) more than the US does.

1713649194877.png

From https://www.usnews.com/news/best-co...ntries-have-committed-the-most-aid-to-ukraine

Denmark and Estonia have each committed aid totaling more than 2% of their gross domestic product, with Estonia being the highest, at 3.55%, according to the tracker. Norway, Lithuania, Latvia, Finland and Poland also stand out among the highest donors by share of GDP. Malta, on the other hand, has committed aid totaling only 0.01% of its GDP, the lowest for European countries in the data.
The U.S. has committed 0.32% of its GDP toward Ukraine aid, which falls below the percentages committed by the U.K. (0.55%) and Germany (0.57%).

Last edited:
Last edited:
Canada and all other democracies need to start making them NOW.

If Putin wins in Russia he will have a large highly experienced military ready to move on to Poland or Germany or some other country and unless the democracies have a good stock of weapons and ammunition they will end up Russian controlled

I would support Canada sending the entirety of our Leopard 2 fleet, including ARVs along with half of our M113s to Ukraine tomorrow. We don't need MBTs. I'd also send every 155mm artillery shell we have, we can buy/make more later.
Add in the Australian M1A1s as they start being replaced by M1A2s in the coming months + more M113s including the autonomous ones and more Bushmasters and finally the Hawkeis.

I doubt the Australian M1A1s will be made available for the same reasons the Taipans were not sold to anyone or given to Ukraine. Serviceability and mod status.
The are serviceable and are essentially the same mod status as those sent by the US already. The MRH90 refusal had nothing to do with either either.

The issue with the Australian helicopters keeps popping up - I get it that people want to get equipment to Ukraine, but they need field ready machines that can be put to work ASAP.

Even if the U.S. were to provide UH-60's to Ukraine, there would be training both with pilots and ground crew plus logistics for parts and such - all of which would create downtime and a lag between acquisition and deployment.

If Putin wins in Russia he will have a large highly experienced military ready to move on to Poland or Germany or some other country and unless the democracies have a good stock of weapons and ammunition they will end up Russian controlled

1) Those Russian soldiers who have gained experience are largely dead. Yes, they will have cadre, but with a one-year service term, it's not like that experience will get passed down and then they've got to train another tranche of recruits. Yes, the leaders will have more experience in battle-management. But this war is running down the troop quality. And it's the troops who do the fighting.

2) Given the major issues Russia has had trying to reduce and conquer Ukraine, the idea that they would attack a NATO country doesn't seem likely.

3) Of course we must stay on guard against further Russian incursions. We must address shortages exposed here so that we have, say, enough artillery ammo, drones, and so on. But I'm skeptical that Russia wants a full-on war with NATO.

Russia has already bitten off more than it can chew. Thy know it better that we do.

1) Those Russian soldiers who have gained experience are largely dead. Yes, they will have cadre, but with a one-year service term, it's not like that experience will get passed down and then they've got to train another tranche of recruits. Yes, the leaders will have more experience in battle-management. But this war is running down the troop quality. And it's the troops who do the fighting.

2) Given the major issues Russia has had trying to reduce and conquer Ukraine, the idea that they would attack a NATO country doesn't seem likely.

3) Of course we must stay on guard against further Russian incursions. We must address shortages exposed here so that we have, say, enough artillery ammo, drones, and so on. But I'm skeptical that Russia wants a full-on war with NATO.

Russia has already bitten off more than it can chew. Thy know it better that we do.

You know they have bitten off more than they can chew - if the west hold firm.

I know they have bitten off more than they can chew- if the west hold firm.

But the million plus lives question is Do Putin and his supporters know they have bitten off more than they can chew.

The especially important question is does Putin believe he can roll over other ex soviet independent countries and get away with it. Remember his whole country is now fully on a war economy and the west is far behind in gearing up so if this becomes a war of attrition he is more likely to win.

Given the encouragement Putin is getting from his supporters in the US and his refusal to accept anything except total domination or destruction in Ukraine I think he is crazy enough to believe he will not only win this early or mid next year but can then roll over a number of other countries because he believes that they will be denied spare parts and consumables for their US made equipment.

To say more means moving into politics so that is all I will say.

Although one can go on war production fact is the modern russian tech is heavily depending on western parts like chips and components like range finders etc.

They can get some from the chinese i guess but i do not think that is in china's best intrest to deliver on a big scale.

So although one can expect i.g more tanks the will be lesser in fighting quality. And that quality was not top notch to start with.
For the ones they get out of the mothballs it will be even worse.

Well, don't look to us.

You know they have bitten off more than they can chew - if the west hold firm.

I know they have bitten off more than they can chew- if the west hold firm.

Even if Russia defeats the UAF and forces a total victory, Russia will be facing a Ukrainian insurgency that will make Afghanistan look like a Sunday picnic.

But the million plus lives question is Do Putin and his supporters know they have bitten off more than they can chew.

I'm pretty sure he does. After all, it's gone a bit longer than the three days he's planned for -- and he's still no closer to defeating them Ukrainians.

The especially important question is does Putin believe he can roll over other ex soviet independent countries and get away with it. Remember his whole country is now fully on a war economy and the west is far behind in gearing up so if this becomes a war of attrition he is more likely to win.

I think he's aware of Article 5.

Given the encouragement Putin is getting from his supporters in the US and his refusal to accept anything except total domination or destruction in Ukraine I think he is crazy enough to believe he will not only win this early or mid next year but can then roll over a number of other countries because he believes that they will be denied spare parts and consumables for their US made equipment.

To say more means moving into politics so that is all I will say.

I disagree. The backlash here against the Russian mouthpieces is mounting, and a great majority in both houses of Congress already understand the importance of supporting our treaty allies.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back