**** DONE: GB-60 1/72 Boeing Model 307 Stratoliner – Zombie Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
User Name: T Bolt
Name: Glenn
Category: Advanced
Kit: Maquette Boeing Model 307 and C-75 Stratoliner
Scale: 1/72nd
Accessories: True Details wheels, Quickboost engines if I can find them and B-17D cowls taken from the Academy B-17C/D kit

I started this one even before the B-17C in this group build, so maybe 15 years ago.

The kit consisted of very primitively molded plastic fuselage halves and the wings and associated parts of the old Frog B-17 kit. A lot of filling and sanding was involved to make everything come together, then I decided to try Alclad paints for the first time which turned out to be a disaster. I started with Alclad Gloss Black and I think this was the problem as it seemed somewhat gummy. After I sprayed on the Alclad aluminum, it cracked all over the place. This was the first time this one went on the zombie shelf.

A year or so had passed and I had begun working on the Academy B-17C with all its masking and had the idea of using the masks off it for re-use on the Stratoliner, so I stripped off all the Alclad (The black was still gummy) and sprayed on a cote of Floquil Old Silver.

Well, I got burned out masking the B-17C so there were no masks for this one and it ended up on the shelf too.

Now that The B-17 is going again I hope to finish this one also, using the same masking. The silver is a bit scratched-up so I'll be starting by doing some touch up work there.

Here's the model as it stands today along with what's left in the box along with the box cover art. I haven't decided to do it as a TWA of Pan Am bird yet but am leaning towards Pan Am

PB184054.JPG
PB184055.JPG
PB184056.JPG
PB184057.JPG

I've transferred the masks for spraying the bright silver from the wings of the B-17D to the 307. The fit was not perfect as the Frog wings are a bit different that the Academy wings, but it was close enough. I still need to do all the masking for the fuselage and tail, but that will have to wait at least a week until I get my right hand back.

20231203_220315.jpg

I had the stiches removed from my right hand yesterday so now have almost full use of it although still somewhat stiff and weak from being wrapped up in a splint for 2 weeks, so back to the work bench!
The first picture is the rest of the masking I did right before the surgery, and the last 2 are after I sprayed it with Bright Silver today and pulled off the masks. The contrast between the Old Silver and the Bright Silver is much more subtle without the engraved panel lines of the B-17, but still enough. Also the window masking, which has been on there going on 14 years was somewhat troublesome coming off and I will have to work on getting the adhesive off.

20231214_172150.jpg
20231216_155858.jpg
20231216_155939.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back