Jet Age Museum, Gloucester (Staverton), UK.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Jet Age Museum.

Yesterday (June 25th), Karl and I met up at the Jet Age Museum at Staverton Airport, Gloucester, a small museum we'd always wanted to visit, but never got around to, mainly due to the distance involved for such a small museum.
However, as my eldest daughter now lives just a few minutes drive from the museum, and is getting married in July, this was a great excuse to get down there, see my daughter, and meet her husband to be for the first time !
We'd arranged to meet at 13.15 hrs, plenty of time to get around the relatively small collection of aircraft and other exhibits before the museum closed at 16.00 hrs, and I set off realising I might get there even earlier, as traffic was very light for what should have been a two hour journey.
BUT !
Part way along the M5 Motorway, traffic came to a halt, and it took over two hours to travel two miles, where a caravan had overturned, blocking the road !
I eventually arrived at the museum, somewhat warm, aching and frustrated, at just after 15.00 hrs, with little time to get around all the exhibits properly, and not really in the mood for detailed exploring, and therefore I only took a total of 15 photos. That said, there wasn't much space to get good pics of the aircraft displayed in the small hangar anyway.
Despite the fatigue and frustration, it was a worthwhile visit, with friendly and helpful volunteer staff (mostly ex-RAF), although I doubt we'd have made the journey had we not had an excuse to visit that part of England.
Needless to say, we all had a good meal at the hotel later, and a few beverages of the non vegan, sissy type !
But enough of the drivel, and on with pics, with the first batch of six described below.

Pic 1. Gloster E28/39 replica. Slightly odd colours, but very convincing.
Pic 2. Meteor F.8.
Pic 3. E28/39 and Meteor F.8
Pic 4. Javelin FAW 9. This is the airframe that Airfix used to plan their 1/48th scale kit, but very difficult to photograph, due to its location.
Pic 5. Gloster Gamecock replica.
Pic 6. Gamecock again.

Jer Age 1.jpg
Jet Age 2.jpg
Jet Age 3.jpg
Jet Age 4.jpg
Jet Age 5.jpg
Jet Age 6.jpg

Jet Age Museum - Part two.

Final batch, as described below.

Pic 1. Meteor NF.13
Pic 2. Hurricane replica
Pic 3. Meteor NF.14 and Meteor T.7, awaiting some TLC.
Pic 4. H.S. Trident forward fuselage and Harrier cockpit, open for inspection.
Pic 5. Vulcan cockpit, again open to visitors.
Pic 6. Folland Gnat cockpit. This is a procedures training aid, single seat mock up, built by Folland.

There were also many other exhibits, including a Hawker Hunter cockpit open for inspection, but lack of time, and a number of enthusiastic children climbing into aircraft, prevented me from getting photos.
Apologies for the sparse coverage of this small museum, but my next museum trip should yield some more interesting stuff, when I pay another visit to RAFM Cosford on July 4th, to meet up with forum member Rodd, who is a volunteer there.

Jet Age 7.jpg
Jet Age 8.jpg
Jet Age 9.jpg
Jet Age 10.jpg
Jet Age 11.jpg
Jet Age 12.jpg

Last edited:
First ... if you are not the front of a blockade its ok.
Second you do have a thing capturing your subjects. I can, by know, tell if you took a picture, or someone else. It looks good and has the eye.
Real good and i know you took it.

Thank you for sharing and have a cold one.

That E.28/39 is in the same colours as the Cosford F.9/40 so correct for the period.

Thanks for those pics Karl.

Regarding the paint colours on the E28/39, the colours are more or less correct, but the shades are a bit "off".
The actual colours were (RAF) Dark Green and (RAF) Dark Earth, "standard" for the period, whereas the museum colours are, how to explain, a "relatively close" approximation, with the green a bit "bright" (?), and the Dark Earth, which is almost correct, being visually affected by the contrast.
Colour footage from the period confirms this, as does the real aircraft, preserved in the Science Museum, London.

Good stuff guys and I'm with Terry on the colour issue. Not saying the Hurricane is correct either but both it and the E.28/39 should be the same.

Thanks for those pics Karl.

Regarding the paint colours on the E28/39, the colours are more or less correct, but the shades are a bit "off".
The actual colours were (RAF) Dark Green and (RAF) Dark Earth, "standard" for the period, whereas the museum colours are, how to explain, a "relatively close" approximation, with the green a bit "bright" (?), and the Dark Earth, which is almost correct, being visually affected by the contrast.
Colour footage from the period confirms this, as does the real aircraft, preserved in the Science Museum, London.
Yup. It is a great wee replica though. Here's the original, although the lighting in the Science Museum doesn't do it justice.

51843808536_5d43a4bb95_b.jpg
DSC_0627 by Grant Newman, on Flickr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back