OOB (Out of Box) unofficial GB - anyone keen?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A4K

Brigadier General
Dec 17, 2007
The back of beyond
G'day guys!

As some of us have talked about in PMs and on the 'Recent Purchases' thread, we have an idea to do an 'Out of Box' (OOB) Unofficial Group Build.

Aim is to have a 'fun build', for the regulars to take a break from the superdetailing, the rusty ones like myself to get the hand back in, and hopefully for some newcomers to start this mad hobby of ours :)

Build Rules:

-Start date: 10 January 2015
-End date: 31 December 2015

-Kit itself must be built as it comes in the box (filling and sanded naturally permitted).
-Schemes and markings optional
-Scratchbuilt antenna wires, brake lines, and seatbelts (aftermarket or scratchbuilt) allowed. No other superdetailing.
-Any subject welcome (aircraft, figures, cars, ships, whatever)
-No limit to number of entries

-Builds to be entered as seperate threads, in partial GB format (User name, name, subject, kit, and scale), under the title 'OOB Unofficial GB'

Please indicate here if anyone's keen, and any suggestions anyone might have.

Cheers!
Evan

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I can refrain from using the razor blade saw. But the idea sounds good. I haven't been doing an OOB for ages. :)

I'm in Evan. As for timing, I have 4 builds scheduled over the next few months already and can maybe squeeze an OOB in after mid Feb or so. I need to finish my Hurricane and P-38 for the MTO GB, then I have 2 Mustangs lined up for the next GB but those will be done in parallel with not a lot of detailing so I can probably get a 3rd going then.

I suggest a longish (minimum 6 month) duration. A learning to share is that the format I used for the Doras Galoras GB whereby everyone posted in one thread did not go over well. I think most participants favoured separate threads for each project. One of the mods will need to set up a subfolder in the Unofficial GB section in that case.

Hmm, I might be able to find something. That would help me cut down on the stash. I've got an ex-Hasegawa F4U-7 in there that doesn't seem to fit in any other Group Builds.

I might join in. I have several in the stash I'm itching to start that don't fit into any upcoming group builds. I like Andy's idea of a long term build of maybe 6 months so there's no stress. I hope we would set it up with separate threads for each build. I didn't like the one thread Dora build setup. Too hard to find anything. I use the thread for a build as a reference so I can see where I'm at and what I've done after I've been away from a build for a wile and that was hard to do with the single thread Dora build.

Cheers for the feedback guys, great to see so many interested!

Agree completely with Andy's idea for a long term build - any 'time stress' would defeat the purpose of the whole thing. (Could even make it till the end of the year maybe?)

Terry, I reckon no worries with brake lines, but we will need to define the limits to the scratchbuilding to keep it as 'OOB' as possible.
Maybe allow 'minor correction' work (addition of small items like brake lines, thinner antenna masts, etc, or reshaping misformed parts), as long as it dosen't involve major reworking of any area?

Any ideas welcome, aim being to keep it as straightforward and fun as possible. (The KISS principle!)

(Btw, I have two Airfix 1:72 builds planned so far: a Harrier GR.3 I started recently, and a Mitsubishi Ki-46-II 'Dinah')

IMHO, that's getting a bit cute. OOB typically allows seatbelts and antenna wires and no more. I could accept brake lines with not too much arm twisting but if we start getting into modifying misshapen parts, then that opens up whole raft of possibilities - replacement parts, new panel lines, etc. and these are commonly lumped into moderate detail or super detailed builds. I can see lots of arguments as to what constitutes "major" work.

Sorry guys, it could be my nice Australian Shiraz talking but, as Wayne said, keep it simple.

Oh and I'm fine with going to the end of the year.

.... One of the mods will need to set up a subfolder in the Unofficial GB section in that case.

I don't think we need the another subforum for it. The Airplanes folder has been created just for the purpose. Each of the GB threads can be "stick" for the time needed for a model assembling. When done it can be "unstick" making "room" for the next GB projects. With the proper title of a such thread it will be enough methinks.

OOB suits me to a tee
I suggest making it a 2015 OOB giving all loads of time to finish one or two subjects.

I agree with seat belts and wires.

What about aftermarket decals or decals from previous builds?

Jeff

No, I think aftermarket decals are OK as a lot of older decals won't survive.

So, Evan, that's my vote:

Duration to end of 2015
Allowed: PE belts, antenna wires, aftermarket decals, otherwise OOB

Others should comment/agree so the rules are clear. I'll go with what the majority says.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back