**** DONE: GB-44 1/48 CF-104 441 Sqn Checkerbird - Military A/C of post-war time

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

And stay safe.
Ever thought of taking a model project with you, for those long, boring hours off shift ?
Or have they got a bar at camp ??!!!!
Looking forward to those tricky decals on your return - I hate checker decals, they always seem to want to go on without matching up. And to think, many years ago, before the abundance of aftermarket decals and accessories, I used to be able paint checks, freehand, without masking or massive magnifying glasses - nowadays, I need the "Optivisor" just to see the damned model !!

Thought about it very briefly Terry. If they had given us our own rooms as originally planned I would have brought in just enough to do details and parts clean-up. However, with no permanent room to store tools and paints I would have to lug it in and out. As it is right now I pack a duffle bag, large lunch bag and laptop case. Free time for me after work is pretty limited. I'm out of bed (depending on dayshift/nightshift) at 4am/pm and don't get back in until 6:45am/pm. Shower, down for supper at 7:00am/pm and back in the room at 7:30am/pm. Phone the missus and then lights out at 8:30am/pm

Last edited:
I had a feeling that might be the case.
When I was 'on the road', I sometimes took part of a build with me, if it didn't involve painting. That was fine if I was in the same hotel for a week, but often I was in a different place each night, so I gave up on that idea !

That's a tuff grind to get Any GB done.........
More like being in the Navy and sharing a space with 40 stinky sailors and No privacy.
12 on, 12 off is a grind.

First decal is on. It should read second decal but I had a change of plans. Leading Edge provided me with two sheets of decals. There was some slight *discoloration on about eight black checkers on one sheet. I used the *discoloured sheet first and cut it into thirds, the rear third being in good shape. I put it into place and found it too hard for me to get into proper place. I used the full size decal on the other side. This had a reasonably good fit, a bit of puckering here and there that can be dealt with. It will also need trimming around the tail pipe. At the moment it is bathing in decal sol. Though it doesn't say on the sheet or on the website, these are more than likely sized to fit the Hasegawa kit

1579126707420.png

*note that discoloured and discoloration are both used. I tried the first word without the "u" and spell check said wrong. The second word I used with a "u" and spell check said wrong....odd

Thanks guys. Still a few puckers and a small tent to deal with; I've moved on to some stronger stuff now. The only other build I read said that this was an issue but after multiple applications the decals did settle down.

Slowly adding more decals. As above, though not mentioned, I'm pretty sure these are meant for the Hasegawa offering. I'll have to use some of the spare checkers to fill in at the front of the intake as the ones meant to go here are too long and wide.

1579282112773.png

Thanks all. The gap has since been filled with a piece from the trialled rear section but not shown in the below photo. That piece had been replaced on the backing sheet it came from and had dried out over the days. As it was going to be trashed after the build I thought it might come in handy in case something went sideways with the rest of the checkers. I measured and cut out a piece to fit the gap. Then I tried something that I read about; coating the surface with Future and applying the decal. I have to say it worked like a charm and you have about 2 miutes of working time to get it into position. After it dried thoroughly I over-coated with Future. Note the few remaining decals applied to the front.

IMG_0002.JPG

On to the left side. This went quicker as I knew what to expect.

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back