**** DONE: GB-53 1:48 Bell P-39N - Eastern Front

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Got a start on modelin' proper. I.P done and sitting for posterity. Painted Tamiya Nato Black. Gunbutts are Tamiya Gun Metal but hard to see the difference. The gun cocking levers and what ever that switch is are painted with Citadel Mephiston Red, directly over the black. Gauges were highlighted with a quilting pencil. Shallow lightning holes were drilled out.

IMG_1783.JPG

The last insert, which I forgot, was added. The right door can be posed open or closed. The closed fit is very good. The halves are taped together to insure for the correct alignment of the engine top cover located behind the cockpit.

IMG_1773.JPG

Note on the exhausts that I started to remove the mold seams but a quick check of photos show that they are weld seams. I'm sure that they are really mold seams but it works for me

1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Bored out the cannon and added the flash guards or what ever they are called.

IMG_1785.JPG

I have since started boring out the flash thangs but can't find a clear photo of whether or not the MGs protruded out slightly or if they were hidden

Looking at the Rechkalov's P-39 and a couple of other soviets ones the Browning MGs had the blast tubes installed.

p-39_Rechkalov.jpg

P-39_p1.jpg

p-39_s.jpg

So it means that the MG barrel outlets looked like that ...

p-39_b.jpg

To be more accurate here is the recovered soviet P-39 from the lake at the north ...

Clipboard01b.jpg

Clipboard01a.jpg

Clipboard01.jpg

the all pic source: the net.

Playing with the wings as I want to test the nose weight needed.

A) MGs need to be added before closing the wing halves
B) Flashed over holes need to be opened up
C) Only one flashed over hole on the upper wing half; out comes scalpel and small round file.
D) On the other side I had to cut off these locating pins to get the wings to square up

IMG_1791.JPG

I may be able to get away with installing the MGs at this point. Note the lugs that go into the slots above "A". I should be able to cut off the lugs and butt join them in front of the slots

Prepping for the painting of the innards. While looking at the front end of this aircraft I noticed it had a blast tube over the cannon

Screenshot 2022-03-26 202114.jpg

A better view

Screenshot 2022-03-26 201923.jpg

My front end, Keep in mind its all a very loose fit

IMG_1794.JPG

I found some hollow round stock, drilled it out and then thinned the edge with a hobby knife. I'll still have to trim it back later

IMG_1796.JPG

IMG_1797.JPG

Not perfect but better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back