**** DONE: GB-53 1:48 Bell P-39N - Eastern Front

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. While waiting for the clear parts to dry so that I can mask them and shoot at the same time as the innards I went back and checked the nose cannon. Some photos show a bushing or whatever its called at the front of the hub

Untitled.jpg

This will tidy up my blast tube so I got out my Shadow Circle Cutter. I've used it before on Hinomarus and other masks but never for something this small, 2.5mm, or on plastic card. There are hash marks on the cutter but no size numbers so it required a bit of playing around...I should have mentioned that this is paper I'm practising on

IMG_1801.JPG

Success but this also required a few attempts as you have to control the cutter depth via the star wheel shown above. I also had to bore out the centre to fit over the cannon

IMG_1802.JPG

This is only a dry fit and needs to be sanded back a bit

IMG_1799.JPG

Last edited:
Innards sprayed. To represent Dull Dark Green, the closest I had was Tamiya XF-11, J.N. Green. Close enough for me

IMG_1804.JPG

IMG_1806.JPG

Note that I've included the main gear doors even though the photo of the aircraft show none attached. I believe that the gear area has been retouched. There's a trestle up front and I think the aircraft is undergoing maintenance. The wheels look bizarre. I've been through three books on Russian P-39s and none had the gear doors detached while in service

Screenshot 2022-03-31 091106.jpg

The decal sheet provide Stars with white border but I see none in the photo above so I'll be using black border Stars

Thanks all. Minor detail painting done, parts just posed. Armoured glass added to rear bulkhead. The rear of the I.P. will be visible if you come to my house with a flash light and magnifying lens so I added wiring.

IMG_1807.JPG

Weight will be added after the nose gear has been glued in place and then I can button the fuselage up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back