**** DONE: GB-57 1/48 Bf 109E-3 Swiss – WWII Foreign Service

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The whole day at decalling and I've managed to get all the main decals on. Have to say and I believe I'll be echoing many other thoughts, but these Tamiya decals are like rubber mats they are so thick. These decals may be on the model, but forget the panel lines, they just wont pop through even with dangerously high usage of Micro Sol.

20230323 1.JPG

20230323 2.JPG

20230323 3.JPG

20230323 4.JPG

:D

What are you using for a clear coat?
I initially sealed the paint in with Alclad II Gloss Klear Lote but the gave it a couple of hand brushed coats of MicroScale Micro Gloss particularly over the white paint where the bulk of the red decal would lie. In the morning I will give it a couple of sprays with Long Life Floor Polish to set these decals in and before placing the remaining detail decals. :D

Makes you wonder why they bothered with camo colors. A very striking scheme.
It was self preservation as later in the war when the allies started bombing Swiss rail yards that the Axes forces were using, the Swiss were also being attacked by allied fighters, the pilots thinking they were German Bf 109 in an all RLM 65/71 livery and only the white cross on red background to identify them. Hence the highly visible red and white adopted sometime in 1942.

It was self preservation as later in the war when the allies started bombing Swiss rail yards that the Axes forces were using, the Swiss were also being attacked by allied fighters, the pilots thinking they were German Bf 109 in an all RLM 65/71 livery and only the white cross on red background to identify them. Hence the highly visible red and white adopted sometime in 1942.

Wouldn't be visible enough for me! :oops:

I met a guy from Zürich once. I asked him what it's like living in Switzerland.

He said, well, the flag's a big plus.

(I'll get me coat...)

All done, finished but not yet posted as finished, will do that tomorrow if light is good enough for some pics.

DSCN9293.JPG

Thanks for looking in on me from time to time folks and my sincere thanks for all them kind words and help with getting the kit organized. Also a special thanks to our good friend Wojtek who provided me with so much detail and George who came up with an interesting video clip relating to the Swiss in WWII (GB57 Questions thread - Post # 81). :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back