**** DONE: GB-60 1/48 Avro Anson Mk.I - Zombie Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have the Illustrated Edition of Colorful Language, by the same author.
From his blue phase.
Who knew it was a real book???

1702540520373.png

So the added alignment tabs can actually be a hindrance if one doesn't take care that they are perpendicular to the seams that they are meant to align. Ask me how I know....

I'm now faced with steps in some parts of the seams and it's all the more complicated by the stretched fabric details that make levelling tricky. I filed away the gooped-on CA glue and moulded-in sliding panel detail at the nose seen here before the op.

23121402.jpg

The seams and nose area got a liberal application of Tamiya Surface Primer which will be blended in over time to hopefully hide the steps:

23121403.jpg

I fully expect that there will be several iterations of fill-and-sand steps over the next week or so. I'll post again when it looks acceptable. Thanks for visiting.

Done a few Classic Airframe kits so know what a pain they can be, but they were all simple single engine fighters. Can't imagine trying to put together something as complicated as that Anson by them.
You deserve a round of applause for going back to it after putting it on the naughty shelf.
:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Last edited:
Agreed.
I think I might have said "B*ll*cks to it", and dashed out to buy the Airfix kit (said the man determined to eventually build the Classic Airframes Blenheim and Vampire T,11, having cursed his way through building their Meteor NF.12.).

Thanks guys. Best laid plans went awry of course and I got nothing done. Decided to get some solar panels for my house and had to negotiate the contract. Then yesterday was spent building a test stand for our rebuilt Merlin 29 yesterday. Today was judging GB59, which was VERY tough, and tomorrow I'll be back on my 1:1 scale Mosquito. Then it's that Christmas thing....

Will post something when I get back to it and have something worth while. to show after things settle down a bit.

hi Andy. Happy to see you doing a model of an Anson with the livery of No.33 SFTS Carberry, MN. A crew of us at the Saskatchewan Aviation Museum have recently started a restoration of Anson AX111 that flew at 33 CFTS Facebook.
Some rivet counter details if you want to use them:

Most of the Mk I Ansons on the Canadian prairies (including those at Carberry) had the external oil coolers replaced with coolers inside the nacelles - I believe these were the same coolers used for the Jacobs engines on the Mk II. These had a forward facing intake scoop (with a shutter to control airflow) on one side of the nacelle and a rear facing exhaust scoop on the other. At -40 the external coolers made the oil way too thick.

It seems that every BCATP base in Canada had a different interpretation of how the yellow paint should be applied over the camo that the Mk Is were delivered with. I think that illustration you have (from Model Airplane International?) is not too far off with the following alterations: (1) the tricolour fin flash should cover the entire vertical fin (but not the rudder)
(2) there is a 6" wide red bar at a 45 degree angle across the top of the nacelles (see sketch below).

Unfortunately, that folding seat is the second pilot's seat and goes on the starboard side directly opposite the pilot's seat. It was made to fold up to the side of the cockpit so the bomb aimer could crawl up into the nose to get to the bombsight. How it works is shown at about 1:40 in the video in this thread: Avro Anson video, with a real control wheel.

Lastly, I noticed in post #15 you mention the aircraft having a flat dihedral - I'm hoping you meant flat-ish:). The Anson has a dihedral of 4 degrees at the chord, for a 1/48 model this translates almost exactly to the bottom of the wing being 10mm higher at the tip than the wing root.
If you need any detail info or pix, give me a shout.
cheers
Scott

Livery-33SFTS-Wings.jpg

Last edited:
hi Andy. Happy to see you doing a model of an Anson with the livery of No.33 SFTS Carberry, MN. A crew of us at the Saskatchewan Aviation Museum have recently started a restoration of Anson AX111 that flew at 33 CFTS Facebook.
Some rivet counter details if you want to use them:

Most of the Mk I Ansons on the Canadian prairies (including those at Carberry) had the external oil coolers replaced with coolers inside the nacelles - I believe these were the same coolers used for the Jacobs engines on the Mk II. These had a forward facing intake scoop (with a shutter to control airflow) on one side of the nacelle and a rear facing exhaust scoop on the other. At -40 the external coolers made the oil way too thick.

It seems that every BCATP base in Canada had a different interpretation of how the yellow paint should be applied over the camo that the Mk Is were delivered with. I think that illustration you have (from Model Airplane International?) is not too far off with the following alterations: (1) the tricolour fin flash should cover the entire vertical fin (but not the rudder)
(2) there is a 6" wide red bar at a 45 degree angle across the top of the nacelles (see sketch below).

Unfortunately, that folding seat is the second pilot's seat and goes on the starboard side directly opposite the pilot's seat. It was made to fold up to the side of the cockpit so the bomb aimer could crawl up into the nose to get to the bombsight. How it works is shown at about 1:40 in the video in this thread: Avro Anson video, with a real control wheel.

If you need any detail info or pix, give me a shout.
cheers
Scott

View attachment 756040
Welcome to the forum.
That's quite an entrance.

Hi L LownSlow Scott and thanks for the detailed info. Glad to see that another Annie is being restored. I'm on a team restoring a Mosquito in Nanton AB so we have a bit in common.

I was not aware of the oil cooler mod but knew of the diagonal red dash missing on the profile I found. Also wasn't aware of the full fin flash as I was unable to find any pics of my subject anywhere. If you know of some, let me know. If you have a Pic of the oil cooler as it's supposed to be then I'd appreciate that.

Thanks for the info in the seat. I will watch the vid later and may have more questions. The cockpit is now partly covered though and I may no longer have access to it. Pics are due but I have not had a chance to upload anything as yet and hope to do so soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back