Blackburn Shark Mk.II/III
Shown here is a Shark Mk.II/III two/three-seat torpdo/reconnaissance aircraft of the Fleet Air Arm. By the start of WWII the shark had been largely relegated to second-line duties and a number were converted for target-towing in various parts of the UK. Some of these aircraft however were used operationally in the evacuation of Dunkirk and of the Channel Islands in 1940. Another user of the Shark Mk.II was the RCAF, who had bought seven in 1936. Later on Boeing Aircraft of Canada, licence-built seventeen Shark Mk.IIIs for the RCAF, these serving until 1944 when they were withdrawn from service. In June of that year five shark Mk.IIIs were transferred to the British Air Observers School, on Trinidad, where they served faithfully until the end of hostilities.