Ar 234 landing
Here ...

0030-01-2-4.jpg

the source: the net.
Is there a photograph of the ar-234 on the aircraft carrier "HMS Reaper"
Were other German aircraft transported to the United States along with the Ar-234 on the HMS Reaper?
Stop... They were captured by the British. How did they end up in the US?
Where did they paint them Olive Green? In the USA or in Norway?
That is, the Americans captured the plane, painted an emblem on it, then the plane ended up in the USA, where they removed the old paint from it, painted it "Olive Green" and put the emblem back?

Last edited:
Is there a photograph of the ar-234 on the aircraft carrier "HMS Reaper"
Were other German aircraft transported to the United States along with the Ar-234 on the HMS Reaper?
Stop... They were captured by the British. How did they end up in the US?
Where did they paint them Olive Green? In the USA or in Norway?
That is, the Americans captured the plane, painted an emblem on it, then the plane ended up in the USA, where they removed the old paint from it, painted it "Olive Green" and put the emblem back?

I remind myself one pic of the Ar 234 being lifted on the deck of the ship. The image is quite blurry but it can be noticed that the aircraft had the tail dismounted. The Arado like other planes embarked had been protected with a kind of the dark shrink wrap against the sea water before shipping. It results in lacking of the visible markings.

According to the sources the planes ferried to US were:
(10 Me 262, 5 Fw 190F, 4 Fw 190D, 1 Ta 152H, 4 Ar 234B, 3 He219, 3 Bf 109, 2 Do 335, 2 Bu 181, Helicopter WNF 342, 2 Fl 282 helicopters, 1 Ju 88G, 1 Ju 388, 1 Bf 108 and 1 US F-6(P-51)
But whether these all were transported together at the one time there is no info. I think yes these were because it is said these Ardos flown from Sola to Cherbourg, France on June 24, 1945 where these joined thirty-four other advanced German aircraft shipped back to the U.S. aboard the British aircraft carrier HMS Reaper. The Reaper departed Cherbourg on July 20, arriving at Newark, New Jersey eight days later.

The British RAF handed over the four of all Arados captured in Grove and Sola to the USAAF.

The Olive Drab seems to be applied in the USA not in the Norway. For example ... both the Ar 234B-2 WNr 140311 and Arado Ar 234B-2 Wk. Nr. 140312 still were wearing the LW orginal camo while already being in the USA in 1945 although the 140312 was repainted later though . The USA national marking were simplified ( just the white stars ) and applied over the German crosses. So I doubt the Amercans repainted the planes before sending to the USA. The same regarding the emblem. None of the two Ar 234s seems to have it applied. So why the Jane and Snafu could have it painted earlier? However the USAAF "Watson's Whizzers" gave their Me 262 aircraft various nicknames and painted them on the nose of each aircraft before they were shipped to the United States. It is possible the emblem could be applied earlier because the badge can be noticed in images of the fighters tested in the USA.

What about 140173 F1+MT? Or are you talking about specific planes?

What the F1+MT has in common with those sent to the USA? The plane was tested by the RAF in the RAE Farnborough in the Great Britain and never was sent to the USA.

I remind myself one pic of the Ar 234 being lifted on the deck of the ship. The image is quite blurry but it can be noticed that the aircraft had the tail dismounted. The Arado like other planes embarked had been protected with a kind of the dark shrink wrap against the sea water before shipping. It results in lacking of the visible markings.

According to the sources the planes ferried to US were:
(10 Me 262, 5 Fw 190F, 4 Fw 190D, 1 Ta 152H, 4 Ar 234B, 3 He219, 3 Bf 109, 2 Do 335, 2 Bu 181, Helicopter WNF 342, 2 Fl 282 helicopters, 1 Ju 88G, 1 Ju 388, 1 Bf 108 and 1 US F-6(P-51)
But whether these all were transported together at the one time there is no info. I think yes these were because it is said these Ardos flown from Sola to Cherbourg, France on June 24, 1945 where these joined thirty-four other advanced German aircraft shipped back to the U.S. aboard the British aircraft carrier HMS Reaper. The Reaper departed Cherbourg on July 20, arriving at Newark, New Jersey eight days later.

The British RAF handed over the four of all Arados captured in Grove and Sola to the USAAF.

The Olive Drab seems to be applied in the USA not in the Norway. For example ... both the Ar 234B-2 WNr 140311 and Arado Ar 234B-2 Wk. Nr. 140312 still were wearing the LW orginal camo while already being in the USA in 1945 although the 140312 was repainted later though . The USA national marking were simplified ( just the white stars ) and applied over the German crosses. So I doubt the Amercans repainted the planes before sending to the USA. The same regarding the emblem. None of the two Ar 234s seems to have it applied. So why the Jane and Snafu could have it painted earlier? However the USAAF "Watson's Whizzers" gave their Me 262 aircraft various nicknames and painted them on the nose of each aircraft before they were shipped to the United States. It is possible the emblem could be applied earlier because the badge can be noticed in images of the fighters tested in the USA.

What the F1+MT has in common with those sent to the USA? The plane was tested by the RAF in the RAE Farnborough in the Great Britain and never was sent to the USA.
Was this photo taken in the USA or Norway?
images

Do you happen to know what color paint the "Snafu I" decal was applied with?

Was this photo taken in the USA or Norway?
images

Do you happen to know what color paint the "Snafu I" decal was applied with?

One source states the pic was taken at Melun-Villaroche on 27th June 1945. So it means the image was taken in France before sending to the USA. Regarding the "Snafu I" and "Jane I" names , I would say these were of the white.

That is, they arrived in the USA in factory camouflage. Then in the USA they removed the old paint and painted decals?

Actually there is no evedence these planes were repainted.

а
One source states the pic was taken at Melun-Villaroche on 27th June 1945. So it means the image was taken in France before sending to the USA. Regarding the "Snafu I" and "Jane I" names , I would say these were of the white.

Actually there is no evedence these planes were repainted.
What does "Snafu I" mean? and round
emblem?

The Snafu was the abbreviation from "situation normal, all fouled up". In other words ... a ridiculously chaotic situation usually bad and hopeless that became permenent and normal or just the total mess. Slang used by the US military during World War II.

The round emblem was the badge of the Watson's Whizzers unit.

The Snafu was the abbreviation from "situation normal, all fouled up". In other words ... a ridiculously chaotic situation usually bad and hopeless that became permenent and normal or just the total mess. Slang used by the US military during World War II.

The round emblem was the badge of the Watson's Whizzers unit.
How did the Americans transport all German planes from Norway to France for further transportation to the USA?

As memory serves most of the captured planes in the Norwey were airworthy. So these were transported by flight. If not it seems to be by the road transport.

Media information

Category
Unsorted
Added by
Administrator
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

Back