Starting in 1925 with the P-1, Curtiss built a long series of fighters carrying the name "Hawk." Of the eight different P-6 models produced, the P-6E remains the best known. Originally designated the Y1P-22, the U.S. Army Air Corps redesignated this aircraft the P-6E because of its similarity to the other P-6s. Curtiss delivered 46 P-6E Hawks, the last biplane fighter built in quantity for the Air Corps. Never used in combat, the P-6E is recognized as one of the most beautiful aircraft of the 1930s. The only original P-6E still in existence, this P-6E appears in the colors and markings of the airplane assigned to Capt. Ross G. Hoyt, Commanding Officer of the 17th Pursuit Squadron, 1st Pursuit Group, based at Selfridge Field, Mich. in 1933. Edward S. Perkins of Anniston, Ala., donated it to the museum, and the Department of Aviation Technology at Purdue University restored it in 1963. TECHNICAL NOTES: Armament: Two .30-cal. machine guns Engine: Curtiss V-1570 of 600 hp Maximum speed: 204 mph Cruising speed: 167 mph Range: 480 miles Ceiling: 24,400 ft. Span: 31 ft. 6 in. Length: 23 ft. 2 in. Height: 8 ft. 11 in. Weight: 3,432 lbs. loaded

johnbr, May 7, 2011
    There are no comments to display.
  • Album:
    Aircraft 20's +30'
    Uploaded By:
    May 7, 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count: