Short 'G' Class
Shown here is one of the three 'G' Class flying boats impressed and used by G flight of No.119 Sqd based at Bowmore, Loch Indaal, Islay from March 1941. They were armed with Boulton Paul A Mk.II dorsal turrets, each with four 7.7 mm (0.303 in) Browning mgs, together with a third in the tail. Armour plating was added to ptotect the crew positions and fuel tanks, and universal carriers were fitted beneath the wings to carry up to eight 113 kg (250 lb) bombs. A flare chute was provided in the floor of the rear fuselage, and smoke and flame floats and reconnaissance flares could be carried.