1/32 Fairey Swordfish

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here is my completed model of the Trumpeter Swordfish Mk1. The kit was built pretty much out of the box but I did replace the kits rigging with steel wire as I found the kits rigging impossible to work with! Painted with Tamiya acrylics and weathered with pastels
Nice work on that, I like the weathered look. I'm guessing as it's straight from the box you wouldn't have known that on the engine cowls there is a strip in metal joining the 2 triangle parts together. Well on a real one it's all one piece. Please see photo, the other 2 pics are of the Pegasus engine, just incase you want to build a bigger detailed one ;0)

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    451.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    482.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    611 KB · Views: 30
Nice work on that, I like the weathered look. I'm guessing as it's straight from the box you wouldn't have known that on the engine cowls there is a strip in metal joining the 2 triangle parts together. Well on a real one it's all one piece. Please see photo, the other 2 pics are of the Pegasus engine, just incase you want to build a bigger detailed one ;0)
Many thanks Steve! With regards to the metal strips, I can't find any reference to them on a wartime example? does the photo relate to a restored aircraft? My depth of knowledge isn't that great on the Swordfish...thanks ever so much for your input, much appreciated!

Hey, another Porsche guy who loves the Swordfish. Fabulous job capturing the subtle weathering and panel lines. Would love to know more on the techniques and paint used.
Many thanks Casor! The panel lines were emphasised using Flory Wash 'Dark Dirt'. The paint used was Tamiya XF's and the weathering was done using pastels. I hope that answers your queries? Cheers, Kevin

Attachments

• D5D1C77D-6301-4C36-B245-E462A89528F2.jpeg
    D5D1C77D-6301-4C36-B245-E462A89528F2.jpeg
    854.3 KB · Views: 23
Thanks for the info on the Swordfish - I have Tamiya's in the box but will be doing an RC model. I have used model master for all my models but now NLA
On another note....
OK, that's some serious metal. And I love the subtle color ha ha!! Have a couple old 911's, 06 Cayman S and wifey has a Macan S

Amazing build. The details are what we all (well me for sure) strive to achieve. And please don't tell us this is your first build!!
Many thanks Ralph much appreciated! Not my first build mate but well out of my comfort zone, I usually do jets!

Many thanks Steve! With regards to the metal strips, I can't find any reference to them on a wartime example? does the photo relate to a restored aircraft? My depth of knowledge isn't that great on the Swordfish...thanks ever so much for your input, much appreciated!

Sorry for the late reply, been in hospital. Take no notice of what I said before. The engine with cowls fitted is for a Gloster Gladiator I'm restoring, seeing your Swordfish with the V brackets I thought it had the same system as the Gladiator. On looking at the Swordfish engine we just did for the Navy Wings UK I can see it is different. The Swordfish exhausts have rings welded on the inside where it meets the cowls, the cowls have hooks on that go into the rings, the lower cowl has 2 over centre levers that pull the cowls together and then they are wire locked. Sorry for any confusion I caused, but I hope I have cleared it up. Just in case you want to do an engine with all the bits, here's a few photos :0)

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    482.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    611 KB · Views: 20
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    519.2 KB · Views: 21
Sorry for the late reply, been in hospital. Take no notice of what I said before. The engine with cowls fitted is for a Gloster Gladiator I'm restoring, seeing your Swordfish with the V brackets I thought it had the same system as the Gladiator. On looking at the Swordfish engine we just did for the Navy Wings UK I can see it is different. The Swordfish exhausts have rings welded on the inside where it meets the cowls, the cowls have hooks on that go into the rings, the lower cowl has 2 over centre levers that pull the cowls together and then they are wire locked. Sorry for any confusion I caused, but I hope I have cleared it up. Just in case you want to do an engine with all the bits, here's a few photos :0)
No apologies necessary Steve..I hope you are recovering from your hospitalisation? Well I know where I can go to if I need any info on these engines;) The photos are extremely useful and I've filed them for future use (mmm...Gloster Gladiator?) Speedy recovery mate, cheers, Kevin

You of course have this book already, don't you? Includes a resto

Hi Casor.....no, unfortunately I couldn't find a copy of that book (at a decent price anyway!) I did however, pick up several books on the aircraft. Maybe do a Mk2 in the future with her wings spread?

Agreed mate, I've got a few of them......I just couldn't get hold of the Swordfish edition :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back