1/48 Accurate Miniatures SB2U-2 Vindicator

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Work continues on the Accurate Miniatures 1/48 SB2U-2 Vindicator, the gun and bombs have been detailed. I painted the base coat on the aircraft. This is kind of a new area as I am trying out Vallejo paints for the first time. I usually use Model Master and Tamiya paints for many years. With Model Master now owned by Krylon, they are cutting back of many of the military colors. The Vallejo paints work very well and gives you a nice even coat.

Build log with all photos at 1/48 SB2U-2 Vindicator

dscn0762.jpg

dscn0774.jpg

dscn0775.jpg

Nice. I am slowly building up my Vallejo Model Air inventory. One thing I've learned if you are going to mask it, let it sit for a minimum of 24hrs before masking and remove as much tape tackiness as you dare. Since doing this I haven't had any paint lift. I've also had success spraying Vallejo Model Color using distilled water with a 50/50 mix

Update on the 1/48 Accurate Miniature SB2U-2 Vindicator. It's been a busy week with not a lot of build time. I was able to get all the initial painting done. Instead of using the decals I decided to paint the tail stripes. I mounted the gun and bombs. I am masking the canopy with Kapton tape now then on to decals.

All the build photos are at 1/48 SB2U-2 Vindicator

dscn0779.jpg

dscn0783.jpg

dscn0784.jpg

There are more build photos at 1/48 SB2U-2 Vindicator
The final photos are at 1/48 Accurate Miniatures SB2U-2 Vindicator

As for Kapton tape:
Kapton tape is the type. It is typically used for electronics work. The tape is translucent, made of polyimide which resists thinners, paints and glues. The silicone adhesive used on it is designed to be residue free. The adhesive also does not pull paint off like some masking tapes. I prefer using this tape as it has some small stretch to it so you can wrap around curves like canopies. It trims easily and leaves a very good edge. I use an orange wood stick typically used by finger nail stylists to get a good stick on the edges which prevents bleed-thru of the paint. It comes in varying widths as well.

You can get a pack with different widths on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/ELEGOO-Polyimide-Temperature-Resistant-Multi-Sized/dp/B072Z92QZ2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1537607346&sr=8-3&keywords=Kapton+tape

The orange wood sticks also work well for apply in putty as well. one end is pointed and the other is flat. You can get them on amazon as well https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077GR3Y8H/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AI5NMG8XBYKC1&psc=1

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back