1/48 Bristol Blenheim Mk IV.f, Classic Airframes kit

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Colin L

Airman
Nov 27, 2016
This is my first post on this site, after years of lurking.
This is Classic Airframes 1/48 Blenheim Mk IV, Finished as a 404 Squadron, RCAF, aircraft flown by Wing Commander Woodruff, and F/S Sims on 18 December, 1941, when they scored this units first air-to-air victory, a JU-88, operating out of Sumburgh, Shetland Islands.

The Classic's kit is a good basis to start from, but required a fair amount of work to complete as a Coastal Command Mk IV.f, as follows…

– Vacuformed side windows with blisters, replaced triangular center window and oval side windows.
– Add wedge shaped rear view mirror
– Detailed cockpit with many scratchbuilt parts (throttles, area behind seats, rudder pedals, sidewalls, belts etc)
– Scratchbuilt rear turret twin Browning .303's, ammo belts, turret lower section etc.
– Detailed engines with cowl exhaust ring, exhaust pipes, cowl braces, oil sump, flame damper exhaust
– Rescribed airframe, deepened and corrected flight control scribing, and added actuators and control cables
– Scratchbuilt belly gun assembly and blast plate
– Detailed landing gear and wheel wells, added BarracudaCast wheels
– Added all nav lights and landing lights
– Finished with Tamiya Acrylics, weathered with enamels, pastels, and prismacolor pencils
– Decals from kit, Xtradecal squadron codes, Aviaeology serial numbers

Image1d.jpg
Image1b.jpg
Image1c.jpg
Image1.jpg
Image2.jpg
Image1e.jpg
Image3.jpg
Image9.jpg
Image10.jpg
Image12.jpg
Image14.jpg
Image17.jpg
Image22.jpg
Image24.jpg

Attachments

• Image21.jpg
    Image21.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 308
  • Image22.jpg
    Image22.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 360
  • Image43.jpg
    Image43.jpg
    606.6 KB · Views: 350
  • Image5.jpg
    Image5.jpg
    498.7 KB · Views: 309
  • Image9b.jpg
    Image9b.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 272
  • Image9h.jpg
    Image9h.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
I agree with all - very nicely done, and well photographed ( and welcome to the forum).
I've tried a few times to get one of these kits, but have either been outbid on e-bay, or they've been at silly prices. Just hoping that maybe Airfix will release a 'bomber' version of their kit at some time.

I agree with all - very nicely done, and well photographed ( and welcome to the forum).
I've tried a few times to get one of these kits, but have either been outbid on e-bay, or they've been at silly prices. Just hoping that maybe Airfix will release a 'bomber' version of their kit at some time.

Thanks, If your still looking for a Classic Airframes Blenheim IV, then Hannant's has them on sale at a very reasonable price (much, much better than EvilBay), just make sure you get BarracudaCast wheels to go with it, the kit supplied ones are A) Horrid, and B) Undersized!

Classic Airframes Aircraft kits - CF4159 | Hannants

I buy regularly from Hannant's, and their service is top hotch!

Colin

I use Hannant's regularly, but they didn't have them last time I looked - I'll have another look. I knew about the wheels, and will get some if I'm able to get the kit.

I use Hannant's regularly, but they didn't have them last time I looked - I'll have another look. I knew about the wheels, and will get some if I'm able to get the kit.

The link I added was current, as of 2 minutes ago, and they had 10+ in stock, at the sale price!

Last edited:
Nice build, and thanks again for the heads up re Hannants stock.
It'll be some time before I get around to building it, but it's just what i need for my RAF 2 Group collection.

Clean and tidy work with many extras + history + good photos. Big congrats.
Hope to see more of your works too!.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back