1/48 Tamiya Bf109E-3 - How not to...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What you can't see in the pics is a fingerprint in the exhaust stain on the port side. Forensics would have me dead to rights. My fix was to replicated a hefty boot in the flanks by removing the Dullcote under the pastel with thinner and then burnishing brown pastel over the resulting crimes. Yeah, more pastel to help cover up where you just removed pastel. Jan, I'm gonna need that beer...

image-40.jpg

Thoroughly overdone, of course, on both counts, but was I ever having fun!

image-38.jpg

By this time I'd had to make a lot of repairs. I broke the rudder off, I broke the stabs off twice, I snapped off the stbd gear strut so roughly the copper brake line sheared (!), and I broke off the port flap too. It's like wrestling a pig! You get filthy and the pig just enjoys it. I can't recall the last time a build went so sideways.

One thing I did do well was my standard clear-stretched-sprue-for-a-marker-light trick:

image-45.jpg

Here's the net result. Not bad but not great. Sometimes if things end up looking like this I'll break out the airbrush and tweak but not this time.

image-42.jpg

And I DO have some glamour shots coming up...

Last edited:
As promised. All's well that ends (mostly) well. Ain't she a cutie?

I don't like shooting in direct, bright sunlight because it's quite harsh but these photos are okay. Notice how washed-out the colors are, even at ISO 1600. And one thing I found VERY interesting: check out the last photo and the way the rudder looks when it's in direct sunlight and the rest of the fuselage isn't quite so well illuminated. Hmmm... Food for thought when next attempting to analyze grainy period B&W photos, hey? Maybe that rudder isn't white or yellow after all...

IMG_6564.jpg

IMG_6561.jpg

IMG_6551.jpg

IMG_6549.jpg

The irony here was that I'd bought another camera 'cause I thought mine was dead forever. I got the new-to-me one and it didn't work. So I fixed my old one almost by accident. Problem is it's got some schmutz in the lens which shows up in these pics. I even did a sensor clean beforehand. Sigh... Anyway, enjoy the pics and don't treat your unsuspecting, innocent, timid little Tamiya kit the way I did this honey...

Cool and you are right about the rudder in that one pic :thumbright:

I enjoyed the process, and I get new tips for my arsenal. :idea: :lol:

As you say Slam ... " she is a cuite", ... it's a beauty

Best Regards :thumbleft:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back