1930s/40s: no 2-engined fighters as-designed

[
Dear supreme being and merciful lord,

Please save us from photoshop and other composite creations that have no relation to the real world.

Hallelujah and Amen.
Well said, lol. Okay, okay.... here's one that could have been modified to a fighter role. Blohm & Voss P 170
 
What about another angle. If two engine fighters are out, what about three engine fighters?

Some what ifs I found online....googled "three engined fighter"
The Fokker looks like it has four.

I think the OP meant no fighters with two or more engines. No bacon for you.
 
I think the OP meant no fighters with two or more engines. No bacon for you.
Fine. My inner petulant child replies, how about no engines whatsoever?

Blohm & Voss BV 40

1821949_orig.jpg
 
My inner child says that while the concept called for bf 109 tow planes all the testing was done with bf 110 tow planes. Does that make a twin engine or single engine, two engines=two planes?
 
no twin enigines means the usaf would adopt the corsair so it could replace the firepower lost but not having the p-38
While Hap Arnold was impressed with the F4U, the Army did end up with the P-47, which had the same engine as the Corsair.
And technically speaking, the P-47 (eight .50MGs) had more firepower than the F4U (six .50MGs). And yes, some Corsairs were fitted with four 20mm cannon, but they were problematic until heaters were introduced later in the war.
 
While Hap Arnold was impressed with the F4U, the Army did end up with the P-47, which had the same engine as the Corsair.
And technically speaking, the P-47 (eight .50MGs) had more firepower than the F4U (six .50MGs). And yes, some Corsairs were fitted with four 20mm cannon, but they were problematic until heaters were introduced later in the war.
im throwing my two cents thats all
 
Colonel Gabreski in an F4U. Have to think about that.
 
Or...suppose the Navy liked the F6F better and the F4U was never built?
whould never happen
 
whould never happen
But we're talking "what-ifs" now...so what it the Navy decided the F6F was good enough?

Seriously, I love the Heinkel He280 and no matter how hard I could argue, I can't change actual history.

So in the end, yes Hap Arnold liked the XF4U, but the Army already had the XP-47 in the works, which was nearly identical in performance to the Corsair.
 
But we're talking "what-ifs" now...so what it the Navy decided the F6F was good enough?

Seriously, I love the Heinkel He280 and no matter how hard I could argue, I can't change actual history.

So in the end, yes Hap Arnold liked the XF4U, but the Army already had the XP-47 in the works, which was nearly identical in performance to the Corsair.
if the navy says the dont need the corsair then my storyline would end because i cant compete with thw hellcat
 
How about we do an early F-4 Phantom II where a navy fighter does all jobs, and the USAAF also takes the F6F?
why not speed up buliding the corsair and use it
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back