1937 to the late 1941: fighter bombers instead of 1-engined bombers?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I-153 wasn't that good an idea. Even if you get the engine straightened out it had a small wing for a biplane.
It _was_ a good idea. Moreover, the I-153 _was_ used as FB with relative success - sometimes even better than Il-2 for this purpose. "Small wing" was large enough. And a 1000hp (not 700!) engine provided sufficient take-off characteristics. I-207 could be even better...

For the new generation, something like I-180 with a bigger wing? Upgrade with M-82 engine when available.
In fact, the I-185 (as hypothetical "I-180M-82") was the only Soviet single-engine "new generation" fighter capable of carrying a 500 kg bomb load. But the use of this superior aircraft for ground attack was not reasonable.

OK, so centreline bomb is unlikely, or impractical.

Just hang a bomb under each wing then.

Using the Hurricane seems obvious.

However, around the time that such decisions would be made there seemed to be the idea that light bombers should have defensive armament.

A fighter-bomber based on the Hurricane may end up looking more like the Hotspur than the Hurricane II.

Users who are viewing this thread