1942: the best single-stage engine (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tomo pauk

Creator of Interesting Threads
Apr 3, 2008
What single-stage engine might be considered as the best blend of power and reliability, while not being too heavy and/or draggy for the power it delivers? The suitability both for bomber and fighter duties is also to be taken in consideration. The engines that are in production are the contenders; in other words - no prototypes.

Wow Tomo, this time you're casting a really wide net.

Some of the contenders would be:

Great Britain: Rolls-Royce Merlin 20-series, Rolls-Royce Griffon, Bristol Hercules and Napier Sabre
United States: Allison V-1710, Pratt Whitney R-2800, Pratt Whitney R-1830, Wright R-1820, Wright R-2600 and Wright R-3350 (in production in 1942?).
Germany: Jumo 211, Daimler-Benz DB601, Daimler-Benz DB605, BMW 801.

There are probably others, but these I would think are the main ones.

In terms of the best from each country I would pick the Griffon for the UK, the R-2800 for the US and the DB605 for Germany.

What about DB-603 - production-vise it fits in 1942 at least as good as Griffon (maybe better?), and it's better in high altitudes. In second half of 1942 the BMW can fully operate at 'Notleistung', so that is a contender too.
My favorite is the R-2800 so far :)

What about DB-603 - production-vise it fits in 1942 at least as good as Griffon (maybe better?), and it's better in high altitudes. In second half of 1942 the BMW can fully operate at 'Notleistung', so that is a contender too.
My favorite is the R-2800 so far :)

Was the DB603 in production in 1942? I thought it wasn't.

I have the handbook that covers 0, 1st and 2nd series of the DB-603, issued in November 1942. Any firm data about the 603 in 1942 is welcomed :)

When the Griffons for Spit XII were produced?

With the rapid development of engines (and aircraft) during WW II even 11-12 months can show considerable differences. 1942 seems to be a rather pivotal year. For example in Jan you have the R-2800 in the A series with a single stage supercharger available in some numbers with the B series engines just starting production but the 2 stage engines, both mechanical and turbo are only around in prototype form. By the end of the year the both two stage engines are in full production and the A series has been out of production for months.

The Griffon only shows up in production form in the last couple of months and then in small numbers (a hundred or so?)

While the Sabre is certainly in production in numbers the question is when did it achieve a really acceptable level of reliability.

If we can consider Griffon for 1942, than the "few hundred prototypes and pre-production [DB-603] engines" surely fits there, too.

With the rapid development of engines (and aircraft) during WW II even 11-12 months can show considerable differences. 1942 seems to be a rather pivotal year. For example in Jan you have the R-2800 in the A series with a single stage supercharger available in some numbers with the B series engines just starting production but the 2 stage engines, both mechanical and turbo are only around in prototype form. By the end of the year the both two stage engines are in full production and the A series has been out of production for months.

The Griffon only shows up in production form in the last couple of months and then in small numbers (a hundred or so?)

While the Sabre is certainly in production in numbers the question is when did it achieve a really acceptable level of reliability.

Single stage R-2800 (B series, of course single stage) is my contender here, closely followed by BMW-801D.

The single stage Merlin is in contention.

The non-turbo Allison is not.

The Hercules and R-2600 don't have the supercharger or low drag needed for a single engine fighter. Great as they performed in bombers and twin engined strike fighters.

The Jumo 211 was a good engine but had made little progress since late 1940/41 and was a bit behind in the power race, second best is second best regardless of price.

RLM ordered 120 pre-production DB603 engines during 1940. I don't have numbers for 1941 and 1942 but they were probably similiar for each year.

Junkers built 289 prototype and pre-production Jumo 222 engines, mostly during 1941 and 1942. Do they count also? The 2,000 hp Jumo 222A would be a sure winner during 1942.

Jumo 222 does not fit in one of major categories:

the best blend of power and reliability

I've said already, if we discount the 603 for 1942, we can pretty much discount the Griffon, too. The Germans have BMW-801 as contender.

How do you figure that? It's overall superior to 1942 versions of the R2800 engine. There were all sorts of German aircraft designed for the Jumo 222 engine.

I don't think a couple hundred engines count as mass production. But if that's the standard then how can we exclude the Jumo 222?

We can exclude it because it never went into a service aircraft.

Rolls-Royce built a little over 300 Peregrine engines and that number kept 2 squadrons of twin engined planes in service for over two years.

A little under 300 Jumo 222s kept ZERO aircraft in service for ZEROdays.

Something more than politics was going on.

I don't think the Jumo 222 and DB603 count because they were not in series production, even if as many of them were built as the Rolls-Royce Griffon which was in series production.

Pre-production is just that - preparing for production, but not actually part of that production. Akin to service test aircraft, if you will.

Do we have the numbers produced for Griffon and Db-603, yearly at least? The engine was produced (not only) for Me-410, and here is what Wikipedia says about the 410:

Deliveries began in January 1943, two years later than the original plan had called for, and continued until September 1944

No difference when compared with Spit XII.

Do we have the numbers produced for Griffon and Db-603, yearly at least? The engine was produced (not only) for Me-410, and here is what Wikipedia says about the 410:

No difference when compared with Spit XII.

I believe all 100 Spitfire XIIs were completed in 1942. They went into operational service in early 1943. Not sure when the first delivery was.

If the Me410 was being delivered in January 1943, it is probable that the DB603 was in production, rather than in the pre-production stage.

I was going off what other posters had said.

the production of XII continued since october 1942 to september '43

Users who are viewing this thread

Back