1975 French Gyroscope

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GeorgeVowles

Airman
Aug 14, 2017
First let me start off with. I didn't know whether this should go in Modern or not so I decided basic was good enough.

Now, once again I have picked up a piece that needs identifying. I'll list all the markings below:

On a metal plaque there is a company/brand name "S.F.I.M" next to it it reads "F6158" below this is a name of "Bloc Gyroscopique" and below this is an engraved reference number of "54873-140" a No. Of "180" or "780" and a manufacture date of "11.75" there is also a printed sticker attatched that reads "LNC/R/5/84"

About the part:
I picked it up and noticed it felt quite weighty, it seems to be an early digitally assisted gyroscope with a huge, strange connector on the back. When shaken the gyro can be felt spinning but the needle barelt moves in any direction. I presume the gyro may need power to draw the needle electromagnetically to it's position properly however I'm completely stumped by this item, it's extremely similar to a gyroscope on a "Dassault Mercure 100" from around the time period of manufacture and I couldn't see it in any cockpits of any french military fighters of that time. If anyone can help I'd be greatly appreciative!

Thanks for reading, pictures attached below.

IMG-20170817-WA0000.jpeg

IMG-20170817-WA0002.jpeg

IMG-20170817-WA0004.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back