217 Squadron Bristol Beauforts, at St. Eval

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Allan Hunter

Airman
Jan 30, 2020
I'm looking to see if there are any photos of crews and aircraft for 217 Squadron, between April and August 1941. Any help would be much appreciated.

PM sent

1ab.jpg

Thanks so much for your message, Fubar. The book is certainly a treasure-trove of good information. What strikes me as I continue my investigations is how few pictures seem to exist of the 'all the squadron lined up in front of an aircraft' type. These were popular later, of course. Could it be that they had so much to do in early 1941 that they didn't think about taking pictures? Or was it that they were losing crews so fast it seemed impossible to keep up?

Very best wishes to you!

Allan

There are several reasons. The kind of photos you are looking for arose from special occasions. Things like senior officers from Coastal Command, royalty or govt ministers visiting.

The normal policy was to disperse aircraft around the perimeter of the airfield to minimise damage in the event of enemy attack. St Eval was attacked by the Luftwaffe on several occasions in 1940. You can see these dispersals on aerial photos of the airfield. More were added as the war went on and many are still visible today.

In 1941 the entire torpedo bomber force in Coastal Command consisted of 4 squadrons. They frequently sent detachments to other stations for periods of time. So at any given time the whole squadron might not be present at its home base. For example while based at St Eval from 1939 to 28 Oct 1941, 217 sent detachments to Limavady in Northern Ireland and Carew Cheriton in South Wales. After it moved to Thorney Island it sent a detachment back to St Eval. The Operational Records Book available from The National Archives will give you details.

There are several reasons. The kind of photos you are looking for arose from special occasions. Things like senior officers from Coastal Command, royalty or govt ministers visiting.

The normal policy was to disperse aircraft around the perimeter of the airfield to minimise damage in the event of enemy attack. St Eval was attacked by the Luftwaffe on several occasions in 1940. You can see these dispersals on aerial photos of the airfield. More were added as the war went on and many are still visible today.

In 1941 the entire torpedo bomber force in Coastal Command consisted of 4 squadrons. They frequently sent detachments to other stations for periods of time. So at any given time the whole squadron might not be present at its home base. For example while based at St Eval from 1939 to 28 Oct 1941, 217 sent detachments to Limavady in Northern Ireland and Carew Cheriton in South Wales. After it moved to Thorney Island it sent a detachment back to St Eval. The Operational Records Book available from The National Archives will give you details.
Thanks so much for this, EwenS. It's very helpful. I do know that at one point a newspaper photographer went to the Waterbeach hotel, where the officers were quartered for 217 sqn, and took pictures of some of the crew there. I don't have any more information, though.

If you register at The National Archives then you can currently (so long as the pandemic lasts) download most of the ORBs for free.

I have lent my copy and it has not come back but you may find photos and definitely history for St Eval in an excellent book with an absolutely totally vomit inducing title The Last Torpedo Flyers: The True Story of Arthur Aldridge, Hero of the Skies.

Because of the title I had my copy for many years before I actually read it and several times I came close to dumping it but knew that she who thinks she should be obeyed would have been "upset"

You can find it on bookfinder.com for as little as AU$1.50 so about one pound

I have lent my copy and it has not come back but you may find photos and definitely history for St Eval in an excellent book with an absolutely totally vomit inducing title The Last Torpedo Flyers: The True Story of Arthur Aldridge, Hero of the Skies.

Because of the title I had my copy for many years before I actually read it and several times I came close to dumping it but knew that she who thinks she should be obeyed would have been "upset"

You can find it on bookfinder.com for as little as AU$1.50 so about one pound
Thanks so much for your reply MiTasol - I've now got a copy of it and of 'An Expendable Squadron' also, and both books are proving to be extremely helpful. Many thanks for your guidance!

If you register at The National Archives then you can currently (so long as the pandemic lasts) download most of the ORBs for free.
Many thanks! it's a great Archive!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back