25 hours. New here, thought you might like to hear my fathers experience on aircraft in ww2 at Goxhill England. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

woodbutcher17

Recruit
Mar 31, 2022
25 hours, that is how long he said Allison p38 engines lasted. Pulled that bolts right out of the manifold.So all were shipped to North Africa. Goxhill was an AirSea Rescue/ Fighter trn. base.My dad was a Tech sargent/ aircraft mechanic.Stationed at Goxhill 2 years 10 months. He worked all things mostly instruments with British supplied equipment. Interesting story on P51 superchargers, 2 stage. When the base Colonel showed up first time with a p51 he said it was a good airplane but soggy until high blower kicked in at high altitude. So dad reset the barometers for kickingin the supercharger to lower altitude where upon testing the Colonel said "thats a whole new airplane"! My dad said, "yeah we overboosted it but it was war, so, so what"!.He worked on P47,P38, B24, Beaufighters, Spitfires (tiny cockpit he said),Lysanders, B17,P39, and whatever showed up. He was an A&E mechanic,Foreman for UAL 35 years after. I am an A&P mechanic 37 years Ual retired.

25 hours sounds about right! Welcome aboard! I'm a retired A&P as well, never did the airlines. Where did you work when you were with United? I know a few people who were with them at LA, SF and Denver

Hello, and thanks for your replies. The Control Tower from Goxhill, England is at the military aviation museum in Virgina. My father probable walked it floors. He had a lot of stories, some funny, some not.

25 hours, that is how long he said Allison p38 engines lasted. Pulled that bolts right out of the manifold.So all were shipped to North Africa. Goxhill was an AirSea Rescue/ Fighter trn. base.My dad was a Tech sargent/ aircraft mechanic.Stationed at Goxhill 2 years 10 months. He worked all things mostly instruments with British supplied equipment. Interesting story on P51 superchargers, 2 stage. When the base Colonel showed up first time with a p51 he said it was a good airplane but soggy until high blower kicked in at high altitude. So dad reset the barometers for kickingin the supercharger to lower altitude where upon testing the Colonel said "thats a whole new airplane"! My dad said, "yeah we overboosted it but it was war, so, so what"!.He worked on P47,P38, B24, Beaufighters, Spitfires (tiny cockpit he said),Lysanders, B17,P39, and whatever showed up. He was an A&E mechanic,Foreman for UAL 35 years after. I am an A&P mechanic 37 years Ual retired.
I volunteer at the Military Aviation Museum where we have the Goxhill watch tower. We are always looking for more information and photos from Goxhill to correctly equip it. The ground floor will represent the Eight Air Force and the second floor the Royal Air Force. Please contact we at [email protected].

Attachments

• DSC_2368.JPG
    DSC_2368.JPG
    256.7 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_2372.JPG
    DSC_2372.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_2375.JPG
    DSC_2375.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_2376.JPG
    DSC_2376.JPG