2nd Lt Lloyd Waterman's planes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What is more there isn't the spinner mounted.

Waterman1.jpg

His name is mentioned in Little Friends – US 8th Army Air Force Fighter Command – US 8th Army Air Force Fighter Command but with info that is known. If you're bored (for those unaware of this site) open the 4th Fighter Group section and sort by aircraft

....find all the P-51s that served with the 335th FS and cross reference the serial numbers using this site (for those unaware of this site)...Joe Baugher's Home Page I'm not that bored yet. There's 10 pages of P-51D/Ks
More info I pulled from fubar's link re: Lloyd Waterman. It shows aircraft types and serial numbers. This shows he was flying a P-51B when he was shot down.

L-Waterman.JPG

Last edited:
No. He was neither in Korea or the PTO. Came home after release from Luft 3 and went to architecture school after discharge.

This is incorrect. In the photo of his plane "Gere's Guy," the next plane down is absolutely a D or K model. It clearly has three fifty cals on the wing. Since they were just starting to be issued to squadrons when he became a POW, and since the nose markings do NOT match the 357th FG, he had to have been reassigned after his release from captivity. Since there was no more fighting in Europe, that means he was assigned to a squadron in the Pacific. As has been previously stated, says on his American Air Museum webpage ( Lloyd W Waterman | American Air Museum in Britain ), and is evidenced by the 80th FS emblem ( LINK ) on his plane, he was in the Pacific after V-E Day. Since the 8th Fighter Group did not transition to P-51s (from P-38s) until 1946, he was stationed there post-war, as part of the occupation forces.

-Irish

This is why I'm glad I found this forum. Thanks so much everyone for digging in.

I knew about the Yippee Joe, which he went down in.

what I didn't know was that he served at all in the Pacific. But ODonovan, you're correct. I just called my mother. Apparently he was in occupied Japan for two years after his release. That explains the two photos. (I should have asked her more questions initially).

So it seems he flew a P51 B in Europe. I need to research his unit a bit to see if I can deduce type and markings on Spitfires and P47s he flew.

It was staring at us the whole time. The badge marking on the side of Gere's Guy is from the 80th Fighter Squadron known as the "Headhunters", a nod to the indigenous people in the south pacific. Cross-checked with the badge on the 80th FS page. The motto "Audentes Fortuna Juvat" means,
Fortune favors the Confident

Attachments

• Gere's Guy marking.JPG
    Gere's Guy marking.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 80th FS 'Badge' - the Headhunters.JPG
    80th FS 'Badge' - the Headhunters.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 36
New guy here. I'm trying to find information on my uncle, 2nd Lt Lloyd Waterman. Specifically the planes he flew. He initially joined up through the Eagle Squadron, I believe in the third group to be formed, the 133 Squadron (but could have been the second group, the 121). So he initially flew either Hurricanes or Spitfires. I know he switched to the P47 when they were absorbed into the USAAF because there is a fair amount of documentation about a crash landing he was involved in (apparently not that uncommon in P-47s early on) where he was injured, but eventually able to return to service. I have not been able to find any information about specific planes he was in to that point, however.

He flew P-51s after his return. He was shot down (flak) in May '44 and served out the war in Luft 3, a german POW camp. There is documentation that he went down in a P-51B called Yippee Joe that was usually flown by Major Pierce McKennon. However I have two pictures, attached. One in front of what must have been his usual plane since he girlfriend and future wife was Gere. Another showing him in front of a row of planes in the distance. These are the only wartime photos we have of him with planes, and I've found nothing else online so far.

My question here, if anyone can address it...what can you tell about the plane pictured in the closeup photo with such a limited perspective? I'd love to pin down exactly what he was flying.View attachment 573058View attachment 573059
Kind of general info but maybe something new to you...
Home Page
http://www.4thfightergroupassociation.org/uploads/8/2/0/3/8203817/335_watermanlwweb_a.pdf
Missing Air Crew Report - 04686 - 42-106911 - 05/09/1944
Lloyd Waterman – Flat Spins and Milk Runs
Sounds like my friend Jim Goodson (eagle/336FS) probably knew him as they were there both at the same. Jimmy was shot down shortly afterwards and sent to Luftstalag 3 as well. Who knows...?

It was staring at us the whole time. The badge marking on the side of Gere's Guy is from the 80th Fighter Squadron known as the "Headhunters", a nod to the indigenous people in the south pacific. Cross-checked with the badge on the 80th FS page. The motto "Audentes Fortuna Juvat" means,

I was wondering about that too. Thank you. Very helpful.

Checking it out now. Awesome.

Kind of general info but maybe something new to you...
Home Page
http://www.4thfightergroupassociation.org/uploads/8/2/0/3/8203817/335_watermanlwweb_a.pdf
Missing Air Crew Report - 04686 - 42-106911 - 05/09/1944
Lloyd Waterman – Flat Spins and Milk Runs
Sounds like my friend Jim Goodson (eagle/336FS) probably knew him as they were there both at the same. Jimmy was shot down shortly afterwards and sent to Luftstalag 3 as well. Who knows...?

Just getting started on all this, so had discovered some of this stuff on my own but some is new. Info is very much appreciated. I bet they did know each other. Small world, as always.

I was wondering about that too. Thank you. Very helpful.

Checking it out now. Awesome.

Just getting started on all this, so had discovered some of this stuff on my own but some is new. Info is very much appreciated. I bet they did know each other. Small world, as always.
All of the 4th was based at Debden so probably

Is it possible that the white stripe is actually a lifting strap or something non-paint related laying over top of the cowling?

Hello,

Spitlead is right, the badge is from 80th FS "Headhunters". Those pictures were taken post-war, between 1947 and 1950, when 80th FS was operating P-51 from Itazuke AB in Japan.

HTH

Philippe

Is it possible that the white stripe is actually a lifting strap or something non-paint related laying over top of the cowling?

Very doubtful. There would be a shadow under it where it's not sitting on the fuselage surface. Definitely looks painted on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back