.303 Browning Flash Arrestor Omission on Hurricanes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
This question will take a bit of explaining so thanks in advance for your patience as I know it's a bit of a protracted narrative.

I am seeking info regarding the installation of the .303 Browning on the Hurricane, particularly on the 12 gun Mks. The Flash Eliminators were presumably omitted from the muzzle end when these were within the blast tubes of the typical 8 gun arrangement. On the Mark IIb Hurricane, and Canadian Mk XIIs, the additional 4 outboard .303s were mounted further forward and the muzzles protruded from the wing leading edge. See sample pic below:

HurriIIb.jpg

As can be seen in this pic, as well as every other I've seen of wartime MK XII's in Canadian service, there are no flash arrestors mounted on the outer guns, despite these being clear of the wing surfaces. I know of at least one museum example that has them and there are diagrams suggesting that these could be installed.

What I need to determine for our MkXII Hurricane restoration project is the correct detail at the muzzle end for these installations. We have procured to date 3 original .303 Brownings, all of which were received with the flash arrestor. Here's a pic of the muzzle of one of the actual guns we have.

RDB_6078.JPG

The flash arrestor mounted on this gun is a MkII type, the middle one as seen on the right in this drawing:

Components.jpg

Here's the question: The guy who sold us the last specimen says that removal of the arrestor for our installation would be correctly represented by sawing off the conical portion of the arrestor between the cooling fins and the flanged nut, rather than unscrewing the entire unit. I found the following good pictures of this detail on another forum:

DCP_9654.jpg
DCP_9655.jpg

Looking at a closer detail of the drawing above shows a part called a "Muzzle Choke" which, despite my copy of the drawing being chopped off a bit, indeed looks like the above pics.

Capture.JPG

Can anyone confirm what the actual detail is supposed to be for the outer guns? I can not find any pics that are of sufficient clarity to confirm what the muzzle ends look like but will accept a narrative description confirming what was done.

I know that Air Publication 1641c "Browning .303 In. Mark II Gun : Descriptive Handbook, 1940" might have the answer but I do not have access to a copy.

Attachments

• 13512025_293983894323807_8145909984262522770_n.jpg
    13512025_293983894323807_8145909984262522770_n.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 379
  • upload_2016-7-11_21-6-29.png
    upload_2016-7-11_21-6-29.png
    23 KB · Views: 247
I have a copy of Air Publication 1641c, can you message me your email? I'll try to get the information to you.

Got some good help from Greyman and feel I'm close to solving this. If there is anyone who can find some good, detailed pictures of the muzzle end of a .303 as installed in the Spitfire or Hurricane please post.

Much appreciated!

The only help I can give is negligible and comes from a scanned copy of a badly water damaged copy of the RAAF Armourers Notes
Below is the equivalent page to your post #1 but showing the missing part in slightly more detail

If Greyman has a spare PDF of the AP I would love a copy

Mi Tasol

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    11.3 MB · Views: 347
Thanks all. Fairly certain now, based on pics and references, that the muzzle choke is the proper detail for our installation.

MiTasol, he did not have a pdf, just a hard copy of the AP.

Ah, very nice, thanks. It looks like the hex nut on the muzzle choke is slightly flatter than the one on the flash suppressor, so just sawing off the cone would not be entirely accurate.

Thanks for the follow-up.

Hi
I just got a copy of the Air Publication on the Browning 303 Mk II. A note says it also applies to Mk I variants.
Unfortunately it has been bastardized by removing the AP number and the date but my guess is that it is AP 1641C and war time so that is how I have labelled it.

I cannot get the Mk II info to stick so will put in next post.

The manual may be of use to someone.

Mi

Attachments

• AP 1641C (prob) Browning 303 MkII.pdf
    5.2 MB · Views: 721
Last edited:
Fantastic information guys! I have also been interested in this subject after I saw a few museum Mk llB or Mk Xll Hurricanes that were also displaying the flash eliminators on the outboard .303 Brownings. The beautifully restored flying Hurricane Mk llB BE505 also has flash eliminators on the outboard guns. The information presented above provides great information and clarifies the subject very well.

A couple more questions regarding this:
1) Were the wing mounted .303s always fitted with the muzzle choke on the Muzzle attachment Mk lll from the drawing above?
2) What was the purpose of the muzzle choke? What was the purpose of the fin design on the muzzle attachment Mk lll compared to the muzzle attachment Mk ll
3) Why did the barrel casing have horizontal slots versus the holes that were used on US .30 Cal Brownings?
4) Finally, does anyone have any additional pictures showing the muzzle attachments and chokes used on the wing mounted Browning .303s?

Thanks in advance, everyone.

Ronl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back