39th FS and the P-38

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BuNo02100

Airman
Apr 17, 2014
Austin
I am hoping that some of the members with knowledge of the 39th FS and their early use of the P-38 would be willing to provide some information. My focus has been on the South Pacific and not New Guinea, so while I have an extensive library and collection of documents for squadrons in that theater, I have very little for South West Pacific.

What I do have indicates that the 39th FS received P-38s in August, possibly September, while another states they were received in July. The July reference could be when the squadron was selected to receive them and not when they actually took possession though.

After receipt, when did the squadron deploy to New Guinea? Again, I have conflicting information and it ranges from late September to late October, with combat operations not starting till sometime in November.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

BW

Do you have this book?

1618714892895.png

Gentlemen, as
Thank you for the replies. I can only assume that my initial google searches were too specific since it did not turn up Cobra in the Clouds. I had run across the Peter Three Eight Story but was a tad apprehensive after seeing some of the comments and the fact that it seemed to be portrayed as more of a collection of oral history and I was unsure about the amount of original source documents that were utilized. Cobra in the Clouds looks promising and one of the sellers had several sample pages online so I am going to grab a copy and go from there. I will also attempt to contact the AFHRC again to see about obtaining the squadron records. My first experience with the archives was fantastic, but my second has been less than encouraging, so goes it.

BW

Gentlemen, as
Thank you for the replies. I can only assume that my initial google searches were too specific since it did not turn up Cobra in the Clouds. I had run across the Peter Three Eight Story but was a tad apprehensive after seeing some of the comments and the fact that it seemed to be portrayed as more of a collection of oral history and I was unsure about the amount of original source documents that were utilized. Cobra in the Clouds looks promising and one of the sellers had several sample pages online so I am going to grab a copy and go from there. I will also attempt to contact the AFHRC again to see about obtaining the squadron records. My first experience with the archives was fantastic, but my second has been less than encouraging, so goes it.

BW
A lot of the oral history in Peter Three Eight came from the pilots themselves. Stanaway acknowledges this in the introduction pages. If also give a good history of the 39th and the first P-38 operations in the SWP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back