426 Squadron Lancaster Mk II with nose art called “The Buzzsaw from Hogtown”

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jay hammond

Airman
Sep 11, 2021
I am trying to find a photo of a 426 Squadron Lancaster Mk II bomber with the words "The Buzzsaw from Hogtown" emblazened on the pilot side and just the cockpit. Just in front of the name there is a painting of a circular saw blade. Does anyone have a photo of this aircraft. It was operating in the spring of 1944. Thanks in advance. Jay Hammond

The book "RAF & RCAF Aircraft Nose Art in World War ll" contains a photo of 408 Sqn. "BuZZ - King of Hogtown" It was a Lancaster B Mk.I EQ⦿K, s/n LL675. Lost due to a fire while on a training run, July 11, 1944 near Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire. No survivors. By this time it was coded EQ⦿T. In the 426 Sqn. section it says, ".....Otherwise, little information of pictures of the squadrons aircraft seem to have survived...." If you want the photo 408 aircraft I can PM it to you

The book "RAF & RCAF Aircraft Nose Art in World War ll" contains a photo of 408 Sqn. "BuZZ - King of Hogtown" It was a Lancaster B Mk.I EQ⦿K, s/n LL675. Lost due to a fire while on a training run, July 11, 1944 near Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire. No survivors. By this time it was coded EQ⦿T. In the 426 Sqn. section it says, ".....Otherwise, little information of pictures of the squadrons aircraft seem to have survived...." If you want the photo 408 aircraft I can PM it to you

I would love to get a picture of it.

George, I got to thinking that maybe the Buzzsaw Of Hogtown is different than the King of Hogtown because the 426 Squadron was flying Lancaster Mk IIs at the time this aircraft was christened The Buzzsaw of Hogtown. Make sense? Cheers, Jay

'Buzzsaw of Hogtown' > near Melton Mowbray > 'known for a culinary speciality, the Melton Mowbray pork pie' [wikipedia]?

Which would join dot-to-dot ... wrongly.

RCAF no. 426 Squadron was based further north — at Dishforth and Driffield.

The records on line and the EQ identifier suggest LL675 was with RCAF 408 (Goose) squadron, equipped with Lancaster MkIIs when transferred to Linton-on-Ouse (near York).

Note the six crew who died, 11 July 1944 (five RCAF, one RAF) are identified at Lancaster II LL675 [Royal Air Force Aircraft Serial and Image Database]. The RAF casualty was Sergeant Francis Grieve of Edinburgh, aged 19, who is buried locally. The RCAF personnel are buried at CWGC Brookwood.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back