.50 cal Loadouts in the P-47 and P-38.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Th!rdeye

Airman
Jun 16, 2008
Bradenville, PA
What was the belting in the .50 cals and Hispano in the P-47 and 38?

What were the beltings they used for each theatre? And also how were tracers implemented? Was it the pilots choice of how many tracers to put into the belting, and did they usually choose what guns had them? Did they put the tracers on just one side as preference? Hope you can understand what i want to know. I'm doing some modding for IL-2 and i have a great idea for new tracer loadouts for the 47 and 38. I would really like to know how they went about using tracers and the various loadouts. I saw many guncam films, some had tracers every 5 rounds, some on on side of the aircraft and some had none at all.

Thanks.
Josh

Friendly bump

Here is my updated questions. I am researching for P-47/51s and need to know this about tracers and their introduction into the beltings.

• How much ammo in each gun in the 47. Was it a pilot's choice, was it limited when there was a ammo shortage, etc...
• How common it was to use 6 guns in the 47. I have only 1 piece of evidence to show this. Its a combat report and picture of a 4th fg P-47 with the pilot Roy Evans.
• The tracer belting and in which guns i.e 1 tracer every 5th? 10th? 20th? Only on outboard guns? Alt guns?
• If they had tracers on just one side (seen this in guncams)
• The advantage if any of using no tracers

Without looking anywhere to answer most of your questions. I can only answer the last one right now.

The disadvantage of using tracers are:

Tracers have a different trajectory than non-tracer types. Also the tracers will give you away if the other pilot doesn't see you.

The advantage is at the end of the belts then you know when they show up your about out of ammo.

The advantage is at the end of the belts then you know when they show up your about out of ammo.
If you meet those of Jagdfliegers who knows about this trick, your advantage becomes disadvantage. I heard that some Germans used to observe and hunt for fighters without ammo :twisted:

Yea we hear lots of things that supposed to have happened during the war. Tell me how are they going to know if your out of ammo to hunt you down? Your going to have to let me pull my guns on you, but I don't think your going to fly in front of me to find out. :rolleyes:

It would be a problem if your in a circle jerk with an enemy and your airframe is able to turn with him, but his airframe can accellerate better than yours. So you won't be able to exit the fight. Example the Spit vs any German airframe.

As for the P-47...well you won't be circle jerking in it and if your pulling the trigger your behind them, usually at a great speed and the one thing the Jug can do is out dive any enemy aircraft, then I see no problem.

Flying the P-47 to it's weaknesses will equal shot down whether you have ammo or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back