500 Pound Bomb vs 1000 Pound Bomb (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Checkertail20

Recruit
Aug 14, 2024
As you can tell by my user name I have an interest in the 325th Fighter Group best known as the Checkertail Clan. On studying them I came across a story where they began experimenting with using 1000 pound bombs and was successful. From what I've read they were the only fighter group in the 15th Air Force to accomplish this but was this a good idea. I understand the bigger the bomb the more damage but with the extra weight the less range a plane would have and not only that how much practice would be needed to adjust to dropping heavier bombs accurately on targets. I am no expert on air war tactics but was this really practical or should they have just stayed with the 500 pound bombs?

As you can tell by my user name I have an interest in the 325th Fighter Group best known as the Checkertail Clan. On studying them I came across a story where they began experimenting with using 1000 pound bombs and was successful. From what I've read they were the only fighter group in the 15th Air Force to accomplish this but was this a good idea. I understand the bigger the bomb the more damage but with the extra weight the less range a plane would have and not only that how much practice would be needed to adjust to dropping heavier bombs accurately on targets. I am no expert on air war tactics but was this really practical or should they have just stayed with the 500 pound bombs?

Both of them / either of them wreaked tremendous damage to the Kido Butai at Midway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back