56th FG P-47D Nose Art and a/c (re)search (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kingscoy

Senior Airman
Jan 19, 2008
The Netherlands
www.arga-nl.nl
Hello again,

I'm in need of help regarding the following;
Included is a link to our website regarding the crash of a 56th FG Jug. We do have two photo's of the the pilot, Harold E Spicer, and the a/c. But what I'm wondering about is the fact that we found a cowling part with the picture of a, presumed, pin-up girl in some sort of Hawaiien skirt and bikini and parts of the a/c nickname Ann-K. But on the photographs only the nickname is showing. It seems that the pin-up on one of the photo's is being censored as the a/c in the background has the same odd white spot on its nose art. Somebody suggested once that the white area was the base of the not yet finished painting.

Perhaps someone is this forum has a suggestion or has a photo of this a/c with its complete nose-art? The name of Jiminez, I guess the artist, is at the bottom of the pin-up painting

Any help is appreciated very much!!

Cheers,
Sander

The story of deP47D Thunderbolt 43-25515 UN-T of the 56th FG / 63rd FS, contained in Lochem.

p.s we do have some issues with our webmaster using his translation program!!!!! Therefor certain English text and gramar is somewhat strange....to say the least.

Last edited:
Nothing in Roger Freeman's '56th Fighter Group', still got to check his 'Mighty Eighth' and 'Mighty Eighth in Colour'. I think I've seen a pic somewhere of similar nose art - just got to track it down!

Sorry sander, I've only found the same (airborne) shot as shown on your link. Even the 56th FG web-site only has the same pic. It certainly looks like an unpainted panel, ready for the artwork, but hard to tell without better definition.
Have you tried contacting the 56th web-site?

Thank you for your trouble!
Yes, I did contact them a while back ago for info on pilot and a/c but never got a reply. We also did sent a letter to the town and local newspapers where Spicer lived but didn't had any luck yet.

I did find a third photo yesterday. It was published in the Warpaint Special Series (01 Republic Thunderbolt) but that one too...only with the nick-name Ann K but with the invasion stripes applied. (Will upload later today)
I'm starting to think that the nose-art was painted on just shortly before the a/c was shot down.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Sander

Source: Warpaint Special No.1 Republic P-47 Thunderbolt by Alan W Hall

Attachments

• Ann K_Flagg via Graser_3.jpg
    Ann K_Flagg via Graser_3.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 218
Now that I've seen a clearer pic, it is evident that that is a replacement cowling panel, judging by the 'break' in what I presume is the red nose band. I did find a colour pic of nose art similar to that which you described, but it was on the P47 'Princess Pat'. I think this is the one I was probably thinking of, when I thought the description was familiar.
If you don't have the pic of 'Princess Pat', I'll happily post it, so you can compare with your piece of recovered wreckage.
Cheers,
Terry.

The website Little Friends is indeed very good with lots of photo's and was on many occasions a help in finding photo's. Peter Randall did help me several times.
I noticed that the photo on his site, of Ann-K with Pat flying in the background is much clearer than the one I have. The nose art on Pat can be seen...and not the odd white spot on the copy I have.

Terry, I see what you mean...the replacement panel. Didn't notice this before. For the fact that the invasions stripes are not applied on both P-47's in the photo with P-47 "Pat" in the background we can asume that this photo was taken earlier than the other photo's. Perhaps this replacement panel is causing the strange white spot in the photo and was the nose art indeed applied just before the a/c was lost.

Thanks again for the replies!

Cheers,
Sander

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back