5th SS Panzer Division “Wiking” and the Pzkpfw IV....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Now, having received this one....

IMG_20160811_200820.jpg

....I was wondering, does anyone around here know, what versions of the Panzer IV Wiking had, so far I've got this....

IMG_20160811_202738.jpg

....which doesn't say much!

(Viking Panzers by Ewald Klapdor)

As per usual, I'm trying to find a '13' and don't want to make a boo-boo! :lol:

I'm sure they used the Panzer IV Ausf G, H mostly and J at the end of the war.

Last edited:
Yep the shot is a well-known one.

Here the Panzer IV ausf H but of the 26th Panzer Division.. pic source: the net.

Panzer IV AusfH.jpg

PzKpfw IV Ausf H tank of 21st Panzer Division in a hull-down position, 13 July 1944

PanzerIVH.jpg

Supposed to be Wiking Panzer IV Ausf H tanks, in the Cherkassy pocket (Korsun), in February '44....

pz12-3-Panzer4G-Cherkassy.jpg

I can't remember though, ever seeing any Wiking panzers with four digit numbers....maybe I've just missed them....:lol:

IMG_20160812_140058.jpg

It says: Grenadiers of SS Wiking Division during the early days of the battle of Kursk in july 1943....

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but....I always thought that Wiking were resting and refitting during Kursk, or somewhere else, Kharkov pops up in my mind, will have to check....

Either way, this looks like a Panzer IV, on which they're riding....

The Wiking Division participated in the Zitadelle operation but it stayed as a military reserve and didn't take a part in struggling directly. The division and a couple of its sub-units fought during the German's retreat after the Russian cunter-strike. For instance , the SS Kampfgruppe "Dorr" of the 5th Panzer Battalion with the 46th Infantry Division together.

Panzer IV, Ausf H 5 SS-Panzer Division "Wiking", summer 1944

panzer030107.jpg

Panzer IV, Ausf H , SS-Wiking panzer crew relaxing in the summer of 44..

panzer040107.jpg

A group of panzer IV G's moving across the snowy steppes of Russia.

panzer050107.jpg

tumblr_lvy27gAeZb1r3eyedo1_1280.jpg

Supposed to be Wiking Panzer IV Ausf H tanks, in the Cherkassy pocket (Korsun), in February '44....

View attachment 350242

I can't remember though, ever seeing any Wiking panzers with four digit numbers....maybe I've just missed them....:lol:

Here is another one with the number 1223...

Panzer_IV_1223.jpg

And here Panzer IV crossing a small river or a trench. The one in the middle seems to be of a white 513..

Panzer_IV_513.jpg

Panzer_IV_513_a.jpg

Yep... a couple of sources say they captured and used a couple of T-34s of different versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back