612th Bomb Sqd "Mangler" mascot emblem

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Johnny Signor

Airman 1st Class
Jan 5, 2008
Hello,the 612th Bomb sqd of the 401st Bomb Group had an early ww2 emblem that was worn,it depicts a standing bear on a cloud holding a large aerial bomb point downward,I have tried the people at the 401st BG asoc and no-joy there,so am hoping the great people here can assist with a good photo of this design and hopefully it's colors too!!! Looking forward to your replies and Much Thanks!!!! Johnny Signor [email protected] please e mail me.

Hello,the 612th Bomb sqd of the 401st Bomb Group had an early ww2 emblem that was worn,it depicts a standing bear on a cloud holding a large aerial bomb point downward,I have tried the people at the 401st BG asoc and no-joy there,so am hoping the great people here can assist with a good photo of this design and hopefully it's colors too!!! Looking forward to your replies and Much Thanks!!!! Johnny Signor [email protected] please e mail me.

Hi Johnny,

I'm afraid the info you got from Don on the 401BG Old Forum last January is the best there is, no colour info available currently:

NARA Photo Collection: Mangler Patch

mangler.jpg

All the best,
Paul Bellamy

401BG Association
401BG Historical Society

hey much thanks Paul for the posting of that image,it is something that I can work from at least for a "rough" design, i will color it up with a "guesstimate" and see how that comes out,still working on other "Leads" and will let you know if any pan out,Thanks again !!! Johnny Signor

Hello again,is there no one out there that would know of this emblems colors?
There should be some documentation of it,I've seen the design in patch form on a unit members flight jacket and a Quonset hut wall,black white,come on members Please help me get this one nailed down, much thanks!!!!!!
The unit member wearing the patch on a B-15 was a photographer named Katz and was a Sgt with the unit. I've seen several different photos of this patch form on jackets it seems there should be someone who would know of it...............................

Last edited:
Sucess at last !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I finally found a good color image of this emblem with the "bear" , persistance always pays off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny

Well I'd really like to post the photo , but I'm not a real computer "techy" type, so If you could send me your regular mailing adress I can send you a copy and you could post it, Johnny

Color_Mangler.jpg

This is the photo Johnny is speaking of. It appears to be on a coaster type material and came from a members daughter who's father was with the 401st Bomb Group.

Don Byers
401st BG Historian

Hey , GREAT to see the emblem posted and thanks for doing so !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I really wish I could find a color photo of an actual patch like I saw in the photo many years ago .....................................

Here's a couple ,.

Attachments

• 612th Bombardment Squadron, Mangler Bear.jpg
    612th Bombardment Squadron, Mangler Bear.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 612th Bombardment Squadron, Mangler,Bear.jpg
    612th Bombardment Squadron, Mangler,Bear.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 138
  • 612th Bomb Group, Mangler patch,Bear.jpg
    612th Bomb Group, Mangler patch,Bear.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 124

Users who are viewing this thread