625 squadron

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My father was shot down on these dates on way or returning from Stutgart. The pilot on this aircraft was P/O Tuck and they left from Kelstern. He was taken prisoner and sent to Stalag I.

Janet
Hi Janet,

No doubt you have already seen this, but if not, please see the report on your fathers crew: 28/29.07.1944 625 Squadron Lancaster I LL962 CF-U F/O. Harry Humphrey Tuck DFC

If you feel there is anything you can further contribute to this report, like photos, documents or a detailed biography of your father, then please contact me.

Thanks,
Mike.

Hi Janet.
Peter (Jupiter) doesn't get on the forum very often, mainly due to work commitments, but I can put you in touch with him if you'd like.
I joined this forum as a result of looking for info on 625 Sqn, just out of interest. I 'met' Peter here, and we have since met in person. Purely by coincidence, it was his Grandfather's aircraft I painted a picture of, back in 1991, prints of which were signed by the surviving crew members. Sadly, only one of those is still with us.
Peter has done a lot of research on the Squadron, and that night in particular, and I have seen your father's name on the ORB, and the loss listings etc.
I believe he has established the areas of the crash sites, and is in touch with people in Germany. If you have questions, or info to share, I reckon Peter is your man.
Cheers,
Terry.
Hi Terry,

Are you still in touch with Jupiter by any chance? It would be great to have a chat to him to compare notes on 625 Squadron?

Thanks,
Mike.

I figure I would put this in here as opposed to starting a brand new thread...

My great uncle Joseph F Mooney (J41167) flew a Lancaster in 625 Squadron during WW2. Sorry for my ignorance on the subject, but he was a Canadian, a member of the RCAF. Was there a separate RCAF 625 bomber squadron or would he have been a part of the RAF unit?

Besides that, he won the DSO for his actions during a raid on Plauen on April 11 1945 in which his Lancaster crashed. I assumed this crashed occured in England because he was never a POW. His navigator was Harold Harvie Harding who won the DFC for his actions during the same raid. This is all the info I could find online. Joe passed away some time ago but never really talked about his experience during the war while he was alive anyway.

PD204 was his Lancaster

Does anyone have any additional info?
Hi Wittman45,

I am not sure I you would have seen this or not but his is a report we recently put together for your Great Uncles Crew: 10/11.04.1945 No. 625 Squadron Lancaster I PD204 CF-P2 F/O Joseph Fred Mooney DSO

If you feel you could contribute anything further, like photos, documents or biographies, then I would love to hear from you.

Thanks,
Mike.

Hi All
New here
I figure I would post in here as opposed to starting a new thread...
Researching my late grandfather Alan.J.C. Cromme D.F.C Aus, 421175 R.A.A.F.
Alan was a navigator for the R.A.F. I new of his 37 missions with 156 squadron from 21/2/44-26/8/44.
After his death I have inherited his flying log book and have found he also flew 10 missions with 625 squadron from 9/11/43- 30/1/44.
He flew in Lancaster under Pilot Etchells and Pilot Nichols.
Looking for any info that someone else my have and only to happy to help others if I can.

Jason.
Aus
Hi Jason,

Not sure if you are aware of this or not but your late grandfather was shot down over the North Sea on late August 1944 with Fl/Lt Etchells. You can see a report on this action here:
156 Squadron Lancaster III PB302 GT-B Fl/Lt. Etchells, RAF Upwood, North Sea, ASR success

Sadly, S/L Nichols was killed in late March 1944. Here is their report: 625 Squadron Lancaster III W5009 CF-Z Sqn.Ldr. Nicholls, RAF Kelstern, Udenbreth
I would certainly be interested in getting a copy of his logbook etc to see if there is anything further we could add to either of these reports? Additionally, any other photos or documents could me most helpful.

Where are you in Australia? I am in Sydney...

Thanks and I hope to hear back from you soon.
Mike

First time checking this out,

My father F/L E. A. Eckel was with No 625 and actually flew a mission over Stuttgart 25/7/44 where he sustained sever damage from anti aircrat fire during his second run over the target but luckily was able to return to base on 3 engines crew intact. Sadley he is no longer with us so verbal history is not available however i do have pictures and other articles of his time with the Squadron. As a Canadian inlisted officer he was an RAF/RCAF hybrid of sorts i guess. i have attached a link from the RCAF which documents WW2 personnel and their various awards with brief history and tour dates.
It is my understanding that the name he gave his ride was Jane On The Job thus my log in name, also i believe he had a picture "Jane" painted on the front side of the plane rahter scantily clad, if there are any pictures out there similar to this would love to see them.

RCAF Personnel – 1939-1949 » Air Force Association of Canada
Hi Jane,

I work with a team who primarily researches the 625 Squadron, of whole my Great Uncle was a member. If you could please contact me about your father that would be greatly appreciated. We would like to possibly put together a report about him as an "Unsung Hero" of this Squadron - too date the majority of our work has been around those crews who were lost, We are now trying to broaden this.

Thanks, I hope to hear from you soon.
Mike.

Hello, I'm new to this forum.

I have recently discovered that my great uncle was a member of the 625 squadron and died on the 1st July 1944.

His name is John Thomas Ash and his service number is 1399276 and was a wireless operator/air gunner.

All I know is that his plane was shot down in Genouille, France. I believe the pilot was Canadian and the rest were British.

My relative told me that he is buried in a church yard in Genouille with the rest of the crew and that when the plane crashed the relatives were not told until way after the War and that the plane was by itself when it was shot down so on a solo mission. Apparently the French resistance saw the plane shot down and notified the War Office but they did not contact the families until a long time after which is strange :/

If anyone has any information about this or can guide me to some information that would be great!

Thanks, James
Hi James,

If you could please contact me about your Great Uncle we can look at hopefully putting an Aircrew Remembered Report together for him and his crew.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Mike.

My name is Peter and I am new to this forum.
I can give you a bit of information about this crash. My brother Frank Allen also died in a crash that night near gnouilly at a place called La Pomaille.and is buried in the village of St.Pierre-De-Jard.
I have a letter from Mr.Bernard Steels he was a 8year old refugee living with his parents near St. Pierre De Jards. He looked out of his window and saw two Lancaster bombers in the sky both of them on fire one of them crashed at La Pomaille and the other at Gnouilly.Both 625 aircraft had taken off from RAF Kelstern on the night of on the 1st. July 1944 on an operational flight over Vierzon. I have read since over a hundred aircraft took part in the raid from various squadrons and 19 were shot down that night.
Hope this is helpful to you
Hi Peter,

Thanks for your message above. I would be most interested to speak with you about your brother, and also about the letter you mention above. If you could please contact me at your earliest convenience that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back