625 squadron

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It certainly makes me very proud to see that picture on the web .Also the great deal of pleasure that through my research ive come in contact with so many great people and bringing others together.

Dear NIc,
I'm a bit slow and didn't find your post before I started another about 625.

I am fortunate in being the cook/carer for Peter Charles Armytage. He is now 86 years old, blind and quite crippled.

Peter joined the air force straight out of Geelong Grammar and flew to UK via USA (where he saw louis armstrong in person!) where he became a member of 625 squadron. Peter was shot down (over Antwerp I think) and then after 3 months on the run he was caught and spent quite some time as a POW in Holland before being liberated by the russians.

We are mainly looking for any information on his fellow squadron members and any other general information we can find.

Can you help at all??

Thanks very much

Hi new to the board .
Im trying to find out any info about 625 squadron,the squadron my grandfather fiew with before being shot down on 28/29 7 44,
i have dtails of that event and in the process of recording his 23 missions.
what im really after is any war time photos of 625 either its aircraft or raf kelstern

cheers

My father was shot down on these dates on way or returning from Stutgart. The pilot on this aircraft was P/O Tuck and they left from Kelstern. He was taken prisoner and sent to Stalag I.

Janet

Hi Janet.
Peter (Jupiter) doesn't get on the forum very often, mainly due to work commitments, but I can put you in touch with him if you'd like.
I joined this forum as a result of looking for info on 625 Sqn, just out of interest. I 'met' Peter here, and we have since met in person. Purely by coincidence, it was his Grandfather's aircraft I painted a picture of, back in 1991, prints of which were signed by the surviving crew members. Sadly, only one of those is still with us.
Peter has done a lot of research on the Squadron, and that night in particular, and I have seen your father's name on the ORB, and the loss listings etc.
I believe he has established the areas of the crash sites, and is in touch with people in Germany. If you have questions, or info to share, I reckon Peter is your man.
Cheers,
Terry.

I figure I would put this in here as opposed to starting a brand new thread...

My great uncle Joseph F Mooney (J41167) flew a Lancaster in 625 Squadron during WW2. Sorry for my ignorance on the subject, but he was a Canadian, a member of the RCAF. Was there a separate RCAF 625 bomber squadron or would he have been a part of the RAF unit?

Besides that, he won the DSO for his actions during a raid on Plauen on April 11 1945 in which his Lancaster crashed. I assumed this crashed occured in England because he was never a POW. His navigator was Harold Harvie Harding who won the DFC for his actions during the same raid. This is all the info I could find online. Joe passed away some time ago but never really talked about his experience during the war while he was alive anyway.

PD204 was his Lancaster

Does anyone have any additional info?

Last edited:
Peter is probably the one to give more info, or better still, the secretary of the Association. But, to answer your basic question, 625 was a RAF Squadron, but of course many nationalities were involved in all Commands, and therefore all Squadrons of the RAF during WW2, so it is not at all unusual to find RCAF, RAAF, RNZAF or SAAF or other nationals in 'British' squadrons. Whever a 'bod' was needed, he (or she) would be posted accordingly.

Hi All
New here
I figure I would post in here as opposed to starting a new thread...
Researching my late grandfather Alan.J.C. Cromme D.F.C Aus, 421175 R.A.A.F.
Alan was a navigator for the R.A.F. I new of his 37 missions with 156 squadron from 21/2/44-26/8/44.
After his death I have inherited his flying log book and have found he also flew 10 missions with 625 squadron from 9/11/43- 30/1/44.
He flew in Lancaster under Pilot Etchells and Pilot Nichols.
Looking for any info that someone else my have and only to happy to help others if I can.

Jason.
Aus

Welcome aboard everyone !

First time checking this out,

My father F/L E. A. Eckel was with No 625 and actually flew a mission over Stuttgart 25/7/44 where he sustained sever damage from anti aircrat fire during his second run over the target but luckily was able to return to base on 3 engines crew intact. Sadley he is no longer with us so verbal history is not available however i do have pictures and other articles of his time with the Squadron. As a Canadian inlisted officer he was an RAF/RCAF hybrid of sorts i guess. i have attached a link from the RCAF which documents WW2 personnel and their various awards with brief history and tour dates.
It is my understanding that the name he gave his ride was Jane On The Job thus my log in name, also i believe he had a picture "Jane" painted on the front side of the plane rahter scantily clad, if there are any pictures out there similar to this would love to see them.

RCAF Personnel – 1939-1949 » Air Force Association of Canada

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Jane!

For everyone who couldn't access that site....

ECKEL, F/L Edward Albert (J26464) - Distinguished Flying Cross - No.625 Squadron - Award effective 6 January 1945 as per London Gazette dated 16 January 1945 and AFRO 508/45 dated 23 March 1945. Born 1921 in Toronto; home there (salesman). Enlisted Toronto, 13 April 1942. Trained at No.5 ITS (graduated 24 October 1942), No.10 EFTS (graduated 10 January 1943) and No.2 SFTS (graduated 14 May 1943).

During his operational tour Flight Lieutenant Eckel has completed many attacks against major targets in Germany and occupied territory. At all times he has displayed outstanding leadership, cool courage and devotion to duty which have won the admiration of all his crew. On several occasions his aircraft has been subjected to intense anti-aircraft fire and attacks by enemy fighters but by his fine airmanship and determination he has overcome all opposition and completed his allotted tasks. In July 1944 his aircraft was detailed to attack Stuttgart. While on a second run over the target severe damage was sustained from anti-aircraft fire. Although the aircraft was very difficult to control, Flight Lieutenant Eckel successfully attacked his target. Another time in September 1944, during a mission against an airfield at Gilzerijen his aircraft was again attacked by intense anti-aircraft fire while on the bombing run and the flight engineer was wounded. Undeterred, Flight Lieutenant Eckel flew his aircraft safely back to base and landed it successfully without further damage or injury to his crew.

NOTE: Public Records Office Air 2/9038 has recommendation dated 12 October 1944 with sortie list and a more detailed narrative as follows:

5 July 44 Dijon
7 July 44 Caen
12 July 44 Tours
25 July 44 Stuttgart - damaged by flak; port outer engine u/s returned on three engines
31 July 44 Foret de Nieppe
3 Aug 44 Trossy St. Maximum
4 Aug 44 Pauillac
7 Aug 44 Fontenay le Marmion
10 Aug 44 Oeuf en Ternois
12 Aug 44 Brunswick
16 Aug 44 Stettin
18 Aug 44 Ghent
25 Aug 44 Russelheim
26 Aug 44 Kiel
3 Sept 44 Gilze-Rijen damaged by flak
12 Sept 44 Frankfurt
16 Sept 44 Rheine-Salzbergen
20 Sept 44 Calais
23 Sept 44 Neuss
25 Sept 44 Calais
26 Sept 44 Calais
3 Oct 44 West Kapelle
7 Oct 44 Emmerich
11 Oct 44 Frederick Hendrik
14 Oct 44 Duisburg

This Canadian pilot is the captain of a Lancaster aircraft and is now nearing the end of his first tour of operations, having flown 26 sorties comprising 138 hours operational flying. At all times he has proved himself an extremely able and gallant captain whose operational record is of the highest order.

He has participated in attacks on many heavily defended targets in Germany and the occupied countries including Stuttgart, Brunswick, Stettin and Kiel and has always pursued his task to the utmost, winning for himself and his crew a very high reputation for determination and devotion to duty.

On several occasions the aircraft captained by Flight Lieutenant Eckel has been subjected to attacks by accurately predicted heavy anti-aircraft fire and enemy aircraft, but this officer has, by his skill and determination, overcome all opposition in order to complete his allotted task. On the occasion of an attack on Stuttgart on 25/26th July 1944 the aircraft flown by Flight Lieutenant Eckel was hit by well-directed heavy anti-aircraft fire whilst making a second bombing run over the target, and the port outer engine, wing and fuselage were badly damaged. Despite the difficulty in controlling the aircraft, Flight Lieutenant Eckel bombed the target successfully against the heavy opposition.

On another occasion, whilst attacking Gilze-Rijen airfield on 3rd September 1944, the Lancaster aircraft flown by this pilot was subjected to heavy anti-aircraft fire on the bombing run over the target and the Flight Engineer wounded, but with his usual cheerfulness and masterly control Flight Lieutenant Eckel brought his aircraft back to base without further damage or injury to the crew.

Throughout his tour of operations Flight Lieutenant Eckel has shown exceptional qualities of leadership and coolness, and his courage, skill and devotion to duty have been a great inspiration to his crew. He is most strongly recommended for an award of the Distinguished Flying Cross.

Last edited:
Welcome from England. From what I've found, photos of 625 Sqn aircraft are quite rare. So far, I've only ever seen three!

I found 5!

35-1.jpg

Lancaster B.III LM384 "CF.X" of No. 625 Squadron about to take-off on an op., circa December 1943. She failed to return from a raid on Leipzig 19-20/2/44 (F/Sgt. Pearson and crew), one of three Lancs lost by the squadron that night.

35-2.jpg

No. 625 Squadron Lancaster RF146 "CF:G" at Pomigliano, Italy, on Operation "Dodge" in September 1945.

625_squadron_(2).jpg

C Flight ground crew, Number 625 Sqn. R.A.F Kelstern, V.E. Day.

large.jpg

An Avro Lancaster of No. 625 Squadron RAF flys over the smoke-covered target during a daylight attack on German armour and troops concentrations at St Vith, Belgium, by 294 aircraft drawn from most of the Bomber Groups of the RAF.

wetakeanything-1.jpg

In front of No. 625" Squadron, RAF Lancaster CF-U2 "We're Take Anything" L-R: Fuoco (M/U); Serienko (R/G); Reay (W/O); Greensdale (P); Faloon (B/A); Hallgren (N); Wharton (F/E)

Hello, I'm new to this forum.

I have recently discovered that my great uncle was a member of the 625 squadron and died on the 1st July 1944.

His name is John Thomas Ash and his service number is 1399276 and was a wireless operator/air gunner.

All I know is that his plane was shot down in Genouille, France. I believe the pilot was Canadian and the rest were British.

My relative told me that he is buried in a church yard in Genouille with the rest of the crew and that when the plane crashed the relatives were not told until way after the War and that the plane was by itself when it was shot down so on a solo mission. Apparently the French resistance saw the plane shot down and notified the War Office but they did not contact the families until a long time after which is strange :/

If anyone has any information about this or can guide me to some information that would be great!

Thanks, James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back