669th bomb sqn (416th B.G.) markings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I want to build an A-20J for my neighbor who was a bombardier/navigator with the 669th B.S. in'44-'45. I need Squadron codes and colors and any serial #s and nose art info. He did not fly any assigned a/c on his 65 missions. I plan to put his wife's name on the plane for nose art. Thank You.

The Artilleryman:

First, I would get the book, "Attack Bombers We Need You! A History of the 416th Bomb Group" by Ralph Conte. I am sure your neighbor would enjoy this book. In the back, there are a great many names of crew, last 3 of tail numbers, mission numbers, and more. So his name is most likely there many times.

Second, the squadron code for the 669th BS, 416th BG is 2A. The Group tail markings for the 416th was a white (or very light colored) stripe on the rear of the rudder parallel to the trailing edge on A-20s.

Third, and small world time, my first duty assignment in the active Air Force was Griffiss AFB, Rome, NY. That was the home of the 416th Bomb Wing. The 416th then had B-52Gs and KC-135As. So I am, in a small way, a distant part of his Bomb Group.

I hope this helps you in some small way.

Bill G.

Thankls Bill. Ralph Conte is my neighbor. I havegleaned what I can from his book, but I would like more info before starting the A-20J kit. Adios, Larry, The Artilleryman.

What are the odds of this happening?????

Please tell Mr. Conte that I bought his book at the Air Force Museum. I enoyed reading it very much.

Bill G.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back